Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 1 April 2013

Keegan's Hot-Dog Stand

"Time for a quick break I think"
I find that whatever it is I'm currently working on there always comes a period of time when I'm waiting, it's either glue or paint. So, in these frequent intervals I find myself tinkering about with bit and pieces and this is one of the results.

Probably the most interesting thing about this particular model (for at least some of my followers) is that not a single coffee-stirrer was used in the construction!

"Ketchup, mustard or BBQ sauce ?"
It was made over the course of a couple of weeks in quite a few sessions, each of about 10 minutes or so, though total build and paint time was no more than 2 hours.

The pictures should be self explanatory, the second view showing the side where the vendor would sell from.
The body of the model is made from 5mm cork (scraps from my foray into terrain boards)
In the top photograph the actual layers of cork can be easily discerned, making the model about
25mm to the top of the cart.
"Extra onions please"
The rear shelf (with the bottles) is a scrap of card, as is body of the signboard, the sign itself comes from one of the card Twilight Streets buildings sets.
The bottles and bread-rolls were made from a wooden barbeque skewer, as was the rear supporting leg.
The bottles were much quicker to make this time, as I'd had a lot of practice with them from my supermarket shelves.
The white panels, represent the various compartments that are found on these type of carts and are paper.
The canopy was made from wet toilet tissue paper layered over a plastic former, not unlike a "Kinder Egg", with paint and thinned PVA applied liberally, paper-mache style. This particular mix seemingly took forever to thoroughly dry out (more than 24 hours if I recall correctly), but was nice and solid when I carefully prised it free. The next stage was to cut it so that it laid fairly flat and to sand it smooth(ish). A quick measurement of the circumference base and a hanging border from a 5mm strip of paper was added, which was later divided into 12 segments and a 'v' shaped notch added.   A scrap of foamboard was added inside the parasol to aid the planting of its pole (a cocktail stick). A quick paintjob (obviously from the state of it) and I was pleased enough with it to call it finished.
A couple of final bits of info, there are serviettes on the stand, though none of the photos shows them clearly, the were made from newspaper, stacked glued and cut into triangles. The wheels where made from 5mm cork too and filed to shape.
In case you're wondering about the title it's an in-joke more than likely lost on everyone, you would have to be fairly old and have close connections with Newcastle to understand it (it has nothing to do with wor King Kev btw).

In other news, I'm now the proud Grandfather of my daughter's baby girl. Mother and child are doing fine and I do like the idea of having grandchildren (but not the idea of being a grandfather - makes me feel old, but what the hey - I am !).

Finally let me say welcome to my two latest followers, "StuG and Kris Marquardt" (I think), if I missed you out, my apologies but "Welcome", nonetheless, I hope that there's something here that you find interesting.

That's it for this week hope you all had a good holiday and as always, your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

25 comments:

  1. Cool little model Joe, another thing to put on my build list lol!
    Congrats on the new arrival as well mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on becoming a Grandfather, that is very cool, i have a baby girl on the way, she is due in July'

    That is one fine scratch build, i love the canopy, and the toilet paper idea is something i must remember, now im off to Tescos to get some hot dogs and buns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SK, never crossed my mind to celebrate with hot-dogs!
      Congrats too on the impeding family.

      Delete
  3. Very cool scenic piece. Congratulations to the whole family on your new arrival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, will pass the congrats on

      Delete
  4. That is brilliant mate! Love how it turned out.

    And congrats on being a grandfather! Now to start teaching the young one how to get ready for the zombicalypse! Never too early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LS, unfortunately the little one is a bit illiterate

      Delete
  5. WHAT no coffee stirrers... that's an April fools joke surely!

    Utterly fantastic piece of table top terrain.

    And Big congrats Grand Pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! I want a hot dogs!
    And congrats Grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tito, I'm aiming for pizza though.

      Delete
  7. Being a Geordie lad myself, the Keegan reference did not escape me. Nice model, Joe. Also, many congratulations on becoming a grandad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would understand Bryan and thanksfor the congratulations

      Delete
  8. Another great piece, Joe! And congratulations! You're a dedek now, if that makes you feel any younger! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo and a dedek ? - I'll take it as a compliment.

      Delete
    2. Oh, just grandpa rephrased, but it surely is a compliment! Not everyone can say that for themselves!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on being a Grandpa, and a very nice hot dog cart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another excellent piece of sctratch building Gramps (LOL). You always manage to do more with your rubbish bits then I do! Congrats on your good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irqan, I've probably got more time than you to muse over things, but the main reason probably is that I haven't got the cash to buy already made stuff.

      Delete
  11. Brains...braaains...in a bun, HP-sauce and a coke please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diet or Reguar Coke Sir ?
      Welcome to my corner of the web Deathurgent btw.

      Delete
  12. Very nice model. What are the wheels made of? Do they turn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wheels were made from 5mm cork, like the most of the rest of the model. They could have been made to turn fairly easily (cocktail stick or similar for axle), but I elected to go with them being static.
      Oh, and welcome to my blog.

      Delete