Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Saturday 5 May 2012

SWAT

Finished at last, with only one disaster involving varnish; the photographs are of course up to my usual low standard !

All these figures are all from "Offensive Miniatures": http://www.offensiveminiatures.com/
from their "Near Future" range.  I can't really comment on the customer service as I bought them off e-bay (at half price).

The first Photo shows what I assume to be the Command Team (as they're not wearing helmets), but they are missing one other who appears in a later photo.

Sniper, plus observer (female !)
There are two packs available, both with eight SWAT guys , but should you buy "the deal" of both SWAT teams and the Terrorists (consisiting of 5 terrorists and 3 hostages) then you get an extra  two SWAT figures thrown in. 

The chap I bought them from on e-bay had obviously done this, as I had the extra two figures when they arrived (plus an extra two terrorists!)

I would say that all but one of the terrorists in "the deal" are ideally suited as suvivors for a zombie campaign.

This  photograph shows another three members of the team, the middle guy holds the thing for bashing in doors (I haven't a clue what it's really called) and it's possible that the left most figure is one of the "freebies", but don't quote me on it.

From "Offensive Minis" web site the figures appear to be very diminuative, but this is an illusion caused, I suspect, from their fine sculpted proportions.  They really do fit in well with other miniiatures, from various manufacturers; on the web site gallery there is a comparison of figure sizes too. 

Three squaddies, only slightly out of focus !


All the figures in this set are armed identically, (for the most part) with a side-arm and what looks to me like an MP5, but I'm willing to stand corrected!

Some of the officer/negotiator types have only the sidearm, whilt the sniper has a sniper's rifle (surprisingly enough), though I couldn't possible  tell you what it would be, but I can tell that it's a sniper rifle because it has a telescopic sight !(The sum of my modern sniping knowledge has now been passed on).


Final squaddies, no idea what the third from left is holding.

As can been seen from the photgraphs, headgear is fairly varied; though the standard Kevlar helmet is much in evidence, there are also gas-masks and caps present, and the female observer is without headgear, as are one or two others.

There is a large amount of detail on the figures, which is great if you enjoy that sort of thing (I don't), but I refuse to even try to put the lettering of "POLICE" on the panel allowed for on the figures (approximately 4.5mm x 1.5mm), even "SWAT", attractive as it may seem with two less letters is well beyond my capabilities.  Should I ever get around to it, I may well copy "Lucky Joes" excellent SWAT teams and his use of transfer lettering, after all we can't all be Vampifan with his superhuman eyesight !


This photo shows the building I've used as a backdrop .

I've had this building for maybe 20 years now and I haven't a clue about where it came from, who  made it or anything else about it!

The building is made from very thin card and was probably assembled by me, (though I can't remember doing that either) and to the best of my memory I've  never used it on a wargames table

   Finally a group shot of the whole ensemble.
I was initially undecided as to what colour scheme to go with; blue would clash with (though possibly also compliment) the police, ditto green and the army.  So I settled on this bluey, green grey, which coincidentally is the colour scheme used by the SWAT types on the TV program "Flashpoint"

"Offensive Minis" also do a great bunch of rioters and riot police too, available as two seperate deals or one big deal, with the added incentive of a free news crew (something I haven't got - yet), I'll have to wait a while to get those though as I'm not buying any more figures until my current lead mountain becomes a hillock !

That's all for now, comments, as always, are welcomed and appreciated.

If you're new to my blog and I haven't already welcomed you, then "Welcome".

20 comments:

  1. That's what I've been waiting for! Half price deal sounds great.

    The thing for breaking doors is called battering ram :P. The submachine guns are MP5s and sniper is PSG something, if I am correct. To be honest...who cares? ;)

    I like the colour scheme, too. I will go with grays for my SWAT, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Battering Ram" -lol

      The half price deal on e-bay was a very lucky find, pity I didn't win the auction on the rioters too !

      Delete
  2. That is a sharp looking SWAT team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, lettering on them though would really finish them off to a "T".

      Delete
  3. Your paint jobs are very good, Joe. The grey uniforms work very well. I'm not too familiar with this range but they are on my shopping list. I wouldn't worry too much about your weapon identification skills. I have the same trouble identifying cars. Fortunately in ATZ, all you need know is that the weapon is a sub-machine gun, a pistol, a sniper's rifle or whatever. The make is just background fluff that you can live without.

    I like that old ruined house. Sorry I can't identify it for you. Nice to see the sniper team grabbing the high ground. Always good tactics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, my paintjobs have actually got better through the years as figure painting has become an art, unfortunately I'm still at the standard of "good" for 1970 !

      The rioters are really good - and probably the best deal they do - they're on my Xmas List (again).

      Delete
  4. Great looking SWAT team. Nice neat paint jobs and who cares what the weapons are as long as they can be identified as and SMG, Rifle etc. That building looks really good and lets hope it graces the gaming table soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie; the building is not brilliant but is usable.

      Delete
  5. Really a great SWAT team! They should be able to control just about anything short of a zombie horde!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great paintjob on these SWATies and very cool minis, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zabadak your Swat team looks the Biz ! you have done really well with them, they have a real grittyness about them, I like !
    I also agree with Mathyoo, the door breacher is in fact a two handed battering ram, the machine guns being carried are H&K MP5s, and the sniper rifle is most likely a H&K PSG-1 the choice sniper rifle of many counterterrorist forces the world over, it might even pass for a Steyer Scout Tactical, but is most likely a PSG-1, the little details to me is what makes something go from good to great, be it a miniature, rules set or a terrain board, but hey thats just my preference, keep the good work up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Extra, thanks for the compliments; I like to know what the figures' weapons are meant to represent even just to tell others. The fact that more knowledgeable folk than myself can tell what weapons figures have just shows how good the models are.

      Delete
  8. A SWAT team is my ambition. But in my ATZ world they don't exsist, (yet, mu haaaa). Nice work, envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Irqan, just make it a long term ambition to have a SWAt team !

      Delete
  9. Good, the Swat Teams are always welcomed in a Z-World! :D

    If I can ask, Offensive Miniature aren't a little small, like 20mm?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Zerloon. The Offensive Minis are 28mm, NOT 20mm. They may look small because of their nice preportions. I think we're probably all used to "chunky" figures. Have a look at their comparison photographs on their web-site:

    http://www.offensiveminiatures.com/photo_list.asp?l=1&c=5&g=Comparison%20%20Scale%20Shots

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great SWAT team! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete