Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 24 October 2022

More Gladiatorial Games

 Another week where I luckily managed three games in our gladiator campaign. Firstly a concluding game for the second Munus  and two games from the third munus. Because of  how the various competitions were drawn up and because we were a player short, I ended up having to play in all three games, the first game I had my high level retiarius (net man) and a lower class Secutor (heavy armed but slow).The secutor's (or pursuer's) sole objective was to get me into close combat whilst I tried to evade his grasp by hitting him at long range with my trident. 
Six dice  determine your various actions (attack, defence, recover fatigue etc.) and losing one or more is very restricting. The photograph on the right shows the situation in turn two; the secutor (on the right) having already temporarily lost a die on turn one from his own attack has been entangled by  a net-throw (timed when he had no dice to defend against it.) It was a bad entanglement and he temporarily had to lose another three dice ! It was many turns before he would regain the lost dice (needing sixes on his two dice).
I had the advantage of initiation every turn, a long range attack and retire, tiring the secutor out
With barely a scratch between the two of us, the secutor surrendered to the mercy of the crowd
With the first game out of the way, the second game saw my light spear-armed, but experienced  Hoplomachus take on my friend's heavily armoured and equally experienced Murmillo, My tactics of hit and retire had to be revisited as the Murmillo would be a killing maching at close range. I got a lucky blow in early on, giving him a bleeding wound. He returned the 'favour' later on, but the damage was done and he had to retire through fatigue.
Starting position with pools of blood
My route of retreat from the start, with murmillo in pursuit
The end and the Murmillo (top) is finally exhausted (he survived his appeal to the crowds)
The Murmillos sheet showing his slight nick on his head and his exhaustion
My Hoplomachus hadn't escaped injury - a deep wound to his arm (late in the game thankfully)
The final game of the evening was a reverse of the above gmae, My inexperienced Murmillo against a very deadly Hoplomachus, two levels above him.
The arena had stakes as well as those slippery blood pools about and my game had to change to being the pursuer of the deadly Hoplomachus.
The game ran along the line of the previos one - the two gladiator are far from the start point.
I closed with my foe  but was unable to hurt him...
....eventually falling foul of his spear, but I did narrowly survive the appeal to the crowd        (obligatory blurry picture) 
Each game lasted about 45 minutes to an hour, including drink breaks and general banter between bouts but I was well and truly done in by the end, exhausted but elated.

Unfortunately there are no immediate plans for further games for the next couple of weeks for all manner of reasons, but of course I'll be returning to the 'games' asap.

So that's it then for another week, thanks for taking the time to visit and of course your comments are welcomed and trult appreciated.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, one on one combats don't really make for great pitures though.

      Delete
  2. Those read like they were great games to play in Joe. I have to say, that I'm rather interested in seeing these rules when they're finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks roy, they're the most entertaining gladiatorial rules I've seen to date and they are very near to being finished.

      Delete
  3. Thanks dave. it is really titing enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These do look fun. I like small model count games with rules that have a bit more crunch. I think the Freebooters Fate rules have similar things where you can target and damage specific limbs etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, I haven't seen the Freebooters rules, but I have heard good things about them. This game can turn airynd ar any time with some good dice rolls.

      Delete
  5. Great to see you playing more games, Joe! It's such a simple setup but really effective, and it has more pools of blood than the average zombie game lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, we may even have place too few blood pools, I'm checking with the rules wrtier !

      Delete
  6. Great to see you enjoying a game Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy you are back in the arena Joe and experiencing some success by the sounds of it. Keep it up mate!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, there'll be a short interlude before we finish off the third Munus, but it's going well. Two wins and a missio, can;t be bad, considering my missio gladiator gto 2 fame whilst the victor got 3 !

      Delete