Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 10 October 2022

Blood and Pallas

So this last week saw myself, #1 Son and two mutual friends continued our Gladiator games' Munus. This would be the second set of four games in the second munus, but using the entirety of the rules. We'd previously been getting to grips with the game's rules rather than the entirety of the campaign rules, so this would be the first time we'd tackled the extra campaign rules, in addition to the jump from the previous versionof the rules, to the current version(v1.4). Knowing there was a possibility of obstacles in the game I had to make some, rather than use other things.
The photograph to the right shows the six 'pallas' I'd made and were necessary for the first bout,.
Pallas were the great lumps of wood gladiators practised on and these were needed in the very first game! (A hoplomachus versus a Murmillo -though it's a secutor in the photos!)
The Secutor, representing a Murmillo on the left v the Hoplomachus
The post didn't significantly affect the game though as they were easily avoided by the gladiators.
Making the posts took little time.
I dug out a scrap of 1cm square wood (a rocket stick iirc)and cut it into six 6cm long pieces.
I hot-glued the posts to 4cm square bases made from credit card type bits.
Next cheap filler was added to the bases,
PVa glue was spread over the bases and fine sand was sprinkled onto them
First base with sand added, other bases in the rear, just with filler,
All six post's bases done
The same colour scheme was used as both my arena floor and gladiaotr bases were, dark brown covered all the base; a sand colour was heailt drybrushed over the basethen a final drybrushing of magnolia was applied.
Post with dark brown base and sand colour
The six finished posts,(with bases cut down to fit my hexes)
I didn't paint the posts as wood, as they are wood ! (He's just lazy - Ed.)
Whilst  these pieces could represent both the Pallas and spikey pallas that are needed I really would like to have some braziers for when they are necessary. There's plenty choice to get 3D printed and I'll be looking for someone to make me some in due time, unless I can scratch-bild some myself.
However I also needed some blood pools- though just the four of them.
Some cellophane type sheet I had was cut into four blob shapes then some red paint was added  (my Tamiya clear red, ideal for blood, had sadly dried up) so a mix of acrylics was used.
Four blobs of 'blood'
So with three games played (I won my one - first time in half a dozen games) and another one I have to play tomorrow it has been a very good week.
In other news, my games room is looking a lot clearer than it has been in well over a year and this week should see the table ready to be played over again.

WIth just a single visit to the doctor's to get a flu jab and not another apppointment for a few weeks, things are looking good and I'm in a much more positive mood than I've been in ages. 

That's it then for another week, thanks for visiting and of course, your comments are both welcomed and truly appreciated.

12 comments:

  1. Great to hear you are feeling better Joe, and more possitive, and great you've even had a game and won one.
    The posts and markers look great and very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, yes despite all recent real-life difficulties I managed to have friends around for games and even won one!
      I doubt anyone would believe how long it took to get the posts finished !

      Delete
  2. Great to hear Joe! The posts are simple & effective. The blood smears work. I recall seeing someone using clear plastic poker chips with blood splatters they used to represent wounds on figures, but I have yet to find any clear chips myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, Tamiya clear red would have been much better for blood - it's the goto colour for anyone painting zoombies or gore!
      Clear plastic discs are commonplace there arealot on ebay, but finding what they're called is tricky.

      Delete
  3. Looking great! Nice to see good news from you sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanksyou Michal, I'm in a much happier place atm.

      Delete
  4. Great looking posts and game, excellent news on the games room front!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, as posts go they do the job, getting a game or two in is a good thing too.

      Delete
  5. They add a lot more to the arena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, they're completly anachronistic afaik, but domake for a slightly more interesting game. I do think braziers will look good though !

      Delete
  6. Wonderful news that you're feeling better, Joe! And getting more games in! I have to say, for scenery that's so simple it really is effective, and the posts and blood splats just add to the atmosphere. Looking forward to seeing more of these write-ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks Matt, getting a game or two in is the whole point isn't it ?
      The scenic bits were needed for the game and muh better than counters etc.
      More write-ups when spmething happens !

      Delete