Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 18 April 2022

More Games

By games, I mean Gladiatorial games, two of which I managed to play over the bank holiday. The first game against my #1 son was an interesting game, with me, again playing a Thraex versus his Murmillo. I played most of this first game with just 5 action dice against his 6 dice but careful management of my attacks came through in the end. The second game I played against my eight year old #1 grandson (with aid from his dad) . 
Again I was able to hit my opponent, but unable to hurt him significantly. The photograph on the right shows the final turn of the combat, I'm bleeding heavily and both of us have lost an action die.
My gladiator (on the left) is a Murmillo, my opponent being a Hoplomachus who has already lost his shield.
The last two turns were very tense, I'd managed to make him lose his spear (my gladiator is standing on it) and to knock him down, against the wall of the arena. He was weapon-less and shield-less, but refused to give up. knowing that I was about to become exhausted and would lose the match. 
So with everything resting on the last turn, I had to win the initiative, hit the prone gladiator and more importantly wound him sufficiently to win the match before the loss of  fatigue  phase.  With +1 intiative as one of my traits, I won the intiative, hit him (fairly easily given he was prone) and then rolled two dice adding four to the dice roll to wound him (I was looking for a good head wound. I had to roll high as there was a -3 adjustment to my roll for his helmet. The roll was successful by a score of just one pip. we never got to the fatigue phase as the match was over immediately when he was hit. I can just imagine my gladiator falling to his knees, exhausted immediately after the final blow was made. Both games, once more, took about an hour each and were highly entertaining, especially given that we were all new to the rules. Mistakes were undoubtedly made but imo there was nothing of consequence missed.
My Murmillo's sheet at game end, two bleed tokens, two favour tokens and just two fatigue left !
My opponent's sheet with the last head wound marked.
The game went a lot quicker with my rough and read, homemade, quick reference sheets for general use and Gladiator type specific cards, showing all the common special attacks and their gladitor type specific special attacks. I had some two sided counters for the favour/disfavour counters and used some draughts as favour tokens. The bleed tokens were those I used as casualty markers for my zombie games. 
Some of the various sheets we used.
I've also dug out some columns I was  given a few years ago as the game also allows forobstacles to be placed in the arena. I don't know how practical these will be, but they are solid, heavy porcelain and might survive being used.
My arena with columns.
My feedback with the author continues apace, with me asking a myriad of questions about the rules and giving my two-penn'orth, hopefully I've been some help, even if just in aiding with the proof-reading.
 
In aother news, I've managed to find and package all the requests I 've had re Bryan's collection and I'll be visiting the post office to get rates for sending everything off, and I'll be contacting everyone involved later in the week with final details.
 
That's it then for this week, hopefully there was soemthing here of interest and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

 Now, where's my Retiarii and secutors ?

18 comments:

  1. I hope you are proud to have beaten an 8 year old.
    Personally we have a house rule; Grand-dad always adds 1 to his dice score to give him a bit of a chance, Sounds as if all involved had fun which is really the only point of the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Douglas, considering the dice rolls I mde it was quite an accomplishment beating the youg'un - I could hit him but not wound him mostly! It was great fun but eventually very tiring.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, for a toy, it turned out quite well imo.

      Delete
  3. Good to see you getting more games in, Joe, and nice to see you were almost beaten by an eight-year-old LOL! Those columns should make a good addition to the arena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, it's been a kino of ga,ing heaven over the last few days. My game against my grandson was a tense affair, but his dice rolling eventually let him down - great fun.

      Delete
  4. Great to see more gladiator action especially playing against two No1's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, they were exceptionally good fun, especially as I rarely get to play with either (work and school).

      Delete
  5. Wonderful news on the continued gaming Joe, and hopefully the designer takes on board all your insightful comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank Dave, my comments and criticisms are sometimes wildbut mstly construcyive I hope.It's difficult getting into themond of the rules' creator but he's definetly on the right tracj frommy pov.

      Delete
  6. Another good report Joe and it sounded like a thrilling game. That Hoplomachus sure looks beat up. There are quite a few changes that will come in the next draft, many of your own suggestions. Now if only I could accommodate some dwarfs...

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank/Furt and welcome to my blog. It was probably theclosest game we had, my thraex had two bleeds and only two fatigue left. I had to hit and wound the doned hoplomachus on my last throw and only a head hit would do it. The dice gods were being nice and it all went to plan.
      Dwarfs are onlysmall, so should be easily accomodated. (stick in a disclaimer as being historically accurate).

      Delete
  7. Great looking game, I liked the graphics and the columns,perhaps they could do with a base each?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I like tge whol look of these rules, the graphics in version 1.2 are top-notch too.
      These columns are fairly heavy (i certainly wouldn;t like to be hit by one) and there's not that much room in the 40mm hex for much of a one. Using them in a game will decide whether a base is necessary or not.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful looking set up Joe, and the game comes across as very enjoyable 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, the game is indeed enjoyable, but currently the rules are still being tested and ammended as results are considered. They are heading to finalisation though.

      Delete
  9. Hi Joe, just catching up and the Gladiator games sound fun and if the rules work well I'd be really interested in them. I have a set from a long time ago, I think they might be called Rudis but without going to look I'm not sure. My memory is that they were fairly complicated and I never really got into them.
    I've come across Furt on the LAF and his stuff always looks good, I didn't realise you were on there!

    Really pleased you've found a home for some of Bryans figures that would make him very happy I'm sure.

    Don't worry about all the disparaging comments about beating and 8 year old, sometimes it's all we can manage. :)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I played Rudis back in the eighties irrc and it was a struggle. It was a time when rules were complicated for the sake of it .
      I go on LAF infrequently and I may have been a member but I'm not that sure I am now.
      It's been slow trying to find a home for a lot of Bryan's collection but can I interest you in a hundred or so zombies ?

      Delete