Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 11 October 2021

Mayhem



I finally managed, after two weeks of email exchanges and the petrol 'crisis', to meet Michael, who is not a figure collector, games player or painter and who doesn't make model buidlings of any sort either !
So whilst he may not be recognisable to many bloggers, his surname will almost certainly be.
Michael Scott is the younger brother of Bryan (Vampifan) and has the task of clearing out his late borther's possessions and collections. I was ably helped by my daughter, Michael, his daughter and two lovely neighbours - Ken and Dorothy.
We were there for a little over two hours, sorting through box after box of figures, buildings and games (a lot of Bryan's games have been donated to charity).   After a while it became very apparent that you couldn't believe what what was said on any box cover as the contents rarely were as stated on the box!
Micahel merely wanted the room cleared and knewthat I was on hand, so to speak, living very close to Bryan and had a very  lengthy enchanges of emails over the years (300+).  After the two hours, my daughter's car was full to overflowing and we called it a day. I very much doubt we'd loaded more than a quarter of the  "Aladdin's Cave" that was Byran's room, but I will be back to help out again.
This is a BIG model !

The header pgotograph show an outstanding model, I'd never seen or heard about  in all the years I knew Bryan - It's the Mayhem Haulage Company warehouse, (built by Bryan of course), but what was surprsing to me was its size. The model is little under a foot tall and about one and a half foot long.
The other most interestng thing about it, is its scale - it's 1/32, suitable for 54mm figures !
I never new Bryan had any 54mm figures, let alone western figures (I did know he dabbled in 28mm westerners)
 
Rear view

Of course it has a detailed interior too !

The wall and floor removed,  to reveal underneath the 'office'
Great detailed interior and note the removed end section
 So where were the figures that were used with this building? In the great  collection of drawers shown below was the answer !
Would the labelled drawers hold what they're labelled ?
I opted to show off couple of drawers
Not too carefully stored - a feature of many of Bryan's figures
A selection of the 'heroes'
I recognised many of the figures throughout the boxes, early Swoppets, Timpo, Britains and Atlanttic figures among quite a few converions there may also have been afootballer or two !
The heroes had a sprinkling of contemporary figures too !
The civilans' box, with many conversions
One of the drawers containing Atlantic figures
Better packed in than most !
Boxes of stuff, don't be fooled by any labels you can read
Mayhem city boards and more
More stuff under the table...

...and stacked high on the table !

I have a lot of things still to open and sort (and maybe pack a little better) and  lot of figures that I have no idea what they are.

In other news I've done a little more on my church, but I've got a lot more to blog about now !

Thanks for taking the time to visit, hopefully my adventure was of interest and as ever, your comments, thoght s queries etc. are always welcomed and appreciated.




18 comments:

  1. When I visited Bryan, I remember seeing lots of stuff in multiple rooms, so can imagine there is lots to go through. Some very nice pieces you've brought back with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, there was still a lot of boxes, magazines and figures in other rooms, but most had been gathered into one! It coul dhave been a very unconfortable day, but Mihael and the neighbours were very supportive.

      Delete
  2. What a great stuff! Really treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, they are indeed treasures and for so many people too.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic building and good that it's found a home,I thought you'd finished the church in brick at first! It's difficult to clear stuff out after a bereavement so I'm sure Michael was happy for your support.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, Michael was very relieved that Bryan's collection (and legacy to some extent) would not be lost. Curently I'm merely storing most of Bryan's collection for redistriubution at some point in the near fture as there i so much tht I will never use or have an interest in - Sci-Fi, Chibas (?), 40K, vampires and alot more I'm guessing.

      Delete
  4. That building is superb — did Bryan make it or buy it? And what a trove of games, minis and scenery. Happy to see it's getting a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks Matt, it's 100% scratch-built by Bryan, all the tell tale signs are thereand I recignise the windows fromWorldWideGames card buildings !
      A lot of Bryans stuff will be redistributed and I'm in contact with Bryan's brother Michael how we'll do this,

      Delete
    2. He did an amazing job on that building, it looks incredible and the interior detail is just fantastic.

      Delete
    3. You're right Matt on ll fronts, his building and all his others are brilliant pieces.

      Delete
  5. That must have been a strange day out Joe with a lot of mixed emotions, so many wonderful things to see that Bryan had, but each & everyone a reminder that Bryan is no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, it was indeed a syrange experience,tinted with oth sadness and excitement at seeing Bryan's models 'in the flesh', so to speak.It could have been very awkward but for Micahel's stoicness and good humour, but I have been having many great recollections of my meetings with Bryan and the games we played.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for both this post and for the work you're doing. I was wondering what would happen to Bryan's collection when I read of his passing, so it's really nice to hear that it's being taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mikko, I'm very pleased to be able to keep Bryan's collection together as much as I can. I too wondered where it all all gone, but mostly it hadn't!

      Delete
  7. Wow Joe, I am sure visiting your friends home with his passing was pause for many reflections. I look at my own vast collection of things..& as I age also wonder where it will all go when I move along. Its wonderful you were able to collect some items from his collection to carry on his legacy. Then again, is that now what we all do as the gaming hobbyists we are? We collect, play with, & perhaps eventually sell as time moves on. For many, there are children who have grown up enjoying our hobbies & items are easily transferred into their care & enjoyment. Condolences on the loss of your friend, but congratulations on being able to collect some momentos to remember him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, it was a rollercoaster of a day emotions-wise, but his brother didn;t let it get too far. I am pretty lucky in that I have a son that is 'into' gaming with figures in many era that differ a lot from me and a daughter who likes all the boardgames I like so the future of all my collections is proably sorted !

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, please don't add web-links to your comments

      Delete