Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 29 October 2018

Rules and Rulers

Despite my best efforts to finish off my cavemen this last week and sticking to my regime of painting at least an hour  a day, I still haven't finished my cavemen (and women) though they are very nearly complete, a little shading, highlighting , basing and varnishing will see them complete.
In addition to painting during the day light hours, I've also been making a Quick Reference Sheet as I wanted something I could hold in my hand and read. To this end, I put all four relevant pages onto an A3 sheet which, when checked,  will be laminated.
On the reverse of the sheet are all the relevant rules necessary to play the game, character options etc.
Here they are:
The Obverse of the QRS showing the four major animal reaction tables (plus the critters one)
The reverse of the QRS showing all the major rule bits needed
Scrap MDF (from my factory iirc)

Although I'm not a big fan of metric measuring in games (I'm old, leave me alone) and would have preferred the three measurement used - 75mm, 120mm and 180mm, to have been in inches (eg. 3", 5" and 7"  being the closest) or at the very least, comparative to a straight-forward conversion (approx 25mm to 1")  I have stuck to the original measurement and made some 'rulers' specifically for the game.
Bit of scrap card and a pair of £1 compasses
OK, they're not rulers, they're triangular templates, each edge being one of the three measurements used in the game and here's a photographic record of how they were made:











Template cut out and applied to the MDF
The finished article and yes, they could relevant info on them, but I'm an adult
Another piece of MDF scrap that I can get two more 'rulers' from
So although I've not much to show from all my efforts this week I feel that I've been very productive!

That's it then for another week, thanks for taking the time to visit and as always your comments are both welcomed and truly appreciated.



18 comments:

  1. Assuming Brexit goes ahead I say MORE imperial measures. I hear the excuse "Kids will not understand Imperial". I have even been told of for referring to a man as 6'. (Long story don't ask). I had to learn both while I was at school and I do not think or treat kids as dummies.
    Anyway Bravo sir . Stick with Imperial Measures if that makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, it was the 'strange' increments that put me off. 3-6-9 rolls pff the toungue far easier than 75,150, 225 !
      To be fair thoguh I'm equallhy at home using either measurement and I know I'm 1.8m tall too!

      Delete
  2. I had to learn both Imperial and Metric at school as well.
    Hurrah for Brexit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon and welcome.
      As I told Clint above, I'm comfortable with both systems and had to teach it when the country decided to adopt the metric system sometime in the early eighties.

      Delete
  3. You've got energy than I have at the moment. Clever measurement tool, Zab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, I'm sure I'm a close second!
      I doubt if the template measuring thng would work if it were any more bulky, but as it is it's a handy size.

      Delete
  4. That's a good idea Joe, sometimes when I can't be arsed I use the measuring sticks from Congo as tapes can be a bit of a pain by times in English or metric ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, all my tapes are a pain to use (they no longer stay out by themselves) and I thought that measuring sticks whilst a good idea several of them would drive me nuts, hence the all in one tool!

      Delete
  5. Hi Joe, I think everyone that I have read about using these rules has done a crib sheet, I wonder why they aren't included as a matter of course, same with a decent index.
    Anyway good idea with the triangle, something to copy I think.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, the closest the rules get to a qrs is that they have at least grouped all the stuff at the end of the rules.
      The triangle thing should come in handy I reckon.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks AL, they took little time to make and cost £0, what's not to like ?

      Delete
  7. Nice measuring tool and quick reference sheet,I learnt both and couldn't measure a thing when I left school,I work in both now depending if I'm working for Americans or Europeans.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I think that both systems will be in use for a long time yet. I had to teach metric to children tht only ever answered their height or weight in Imperial measurements for well over ten years!

      Delete
  8. That quick reference data looks very useful - do you mind if I take a copy of it?

    I don't think the exact measurements for Paleo Diet matter at all; it's just the relative proportions of "short", "medium" and "long". And even that probably isn't critical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6, I don't mind at all if you copy it, but be aware it's meant for A3 paper and wold have to be scaled to fit A4. I can also send you either a PDF, or word doc, if you'd prefer as the image is in jpeg format.
      I've noticed one ammendment that needs to be made too, as the Critters rules have changed slightly from PD to Fireside Tales iirc and there may well have to be other changes to be made too.
      As for measurements, I did look into how changing the 3 rates to a more usuable 3", 5" and 7" (or 75mm, 125mm and 175mm if you prefer) I concur that it doesn't makes a noticeable differemce.

      Delete
    2. That would be great, Joe. MS Word would be best, as I might apply some colours or other highlights to section headings. My e-mail address is hcduggan att gmail.com .

      Delete