Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 5 September 2016

Border Reiver 2016


Large Celts v Romans affair
A dismal, rainy, Saturday morning saw #1 son and myself set off for 'Border Reiver', the closest show to where I live (though still in the South) at the Gateshead Stadium. Whether it was the weather, timing or general apathy I did think the show was low on numbers than previously.
There was the a good number of traders covering a wide range of wargame goodies and most had  a constant trickle of punters after their wares from what I could make out.
Close up of the above game.
The games were varied from many points of view. there were large and small, historic and fantasy, skirmish and army-sized, on land and sea and in the air! My favourite being a Celts versus Roman battle put on by two very great guys. I just wish my photographs did their game justice!
The lighting in the hall played havoc with my limited(very) photographic skill and many of my pics have a yellow aura about them, despite my best efforts with photoshop. (I'm not the only one to 'suffer' this effect btw).


Large Napoleonic battle.



As one would expect the games varied as much in quality of presentation (read effort) and a few did have some unpainted figures on show.
The viking game looked interesting, despite the right angled river! (Something I don't mind btw)









Large representation of Cannae - in 15mm iirc
Photograph right: Wall to wall figures being moved on turn one (I think they'd finished the move by the time I left, an hour later.
Ancients are not really my cup of tea.




Good looking game set in Vietnam


All homemade vehicles and terrain
 The fantasy element was well represented, my friend Stuart having a huge table showing off his scratchbuilt terrain, vehicles and monster robot type things (Titans I'm reliably informed) for a huge Warhammer-like game.
Another featured a 'football' type game set upon a huge galleon, whilst another featured a 'classic' elf/dragon affair, though don't quote me on it.


Fantasy football on a ship. (And why not)
Great looking French - Indian War game.
Great looking Dead Man's Hand game, using car buildings

Wings of War
Fantasy game
What of the loot you ask? Well truth be told I purchased not a jot.#1 son bought a book of Rapid Death Fire scenarios for use with his Flames of War games and other than beverages that was it!
I did have a good time though, the Traders were great to chat to (as always) and those running the games that I took an interest in were all welcoming and informative too.
Best part of the day though was seeing friends that I hadn't seen for a year or so - worth the entrance fee alone!

Next week, real life threatens to interfere with getting a post out, but I will try and make the effort!

Thanks for taking the time to visit and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.







19 comments:

  1. It is always interesting to see a show in a different part of the country. Several games did catch my eye. The Vietnam and Wild west the most. They both look achievable for the average club and both look very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Clint. The Wild West game is the effort of just one chap - Andrew Wylie - who takes it along to all the local shows in the NE and puts on participation games using Dead Man's Hand and his own scenarios. I played his game last year at Stockton, surprisingly I even won. His terrain is the stuff you buy from the likes of wargames vault, and then print out and attach to card to assemble yourself. Its all quite sturdy and not bad looking, and quite a few of the models have detailed interiors. The cloth, I believe, is hessian. As you say, its not a bad set up to play on.

      Delete
    2. I agree Clint, I love seeing shows from the other end of the country too. Andrew wylie's game looks mch better than my photographs suggest and he's a jolly good chap too - (great crack as we say up North.)
      Most of the games were easily up to 'club standard' and many were much better.

      Delete
  2. It looks like Ian W. (standing) from the Redcar Ironbeards in the Celts vs. Romans game. I popped over to their club, one night earlier in the year, and they're a top bunch of chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do beleive you're right Roy, I remember them being from Redcar but couldn't recollect the "Ironbeards" bit. I had a great chat with the two chaps there and their figures were great (especially the Celts as they were all individuals, rather than the robotic Romans) - top blokes and my favourite game of the show.

      Delete
  3. Some great looking games on show there Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Michael maybe not all to my taste but certainly all had effort put into them.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking tables! I love the football on a ship table very unique idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ship/football idea I'd seen at the same show last year! My friend Stu put several footabll game pitches on his board (including the one on a ship) on a huge fantady display akin to Frostgrave.

      Delete
  5. Like Clint I like the look of the Wild West game. Love the football on a boat game - nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Wylie's one man Wild West game is another great advert for card buildings (I saw it at the Shildon show last year), I wish I'd done it more justice in my photogrphs.

      Delete
  6. Some interesting and good-looking games there. But I'm shocked to hear that there were unpainted figures used in a public exhibition like this :-( .

    At least you didn't miss out on being outdoors in any good weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a good mix of games, but it's not the first time I've seen unpainted figures in show games. I dislike seeing them even in club games and wouldn't use them in my own either.

      Delete
  7. A great mix of games Joe. I love the footie game on the massive ship the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ship-football game didn't really do anything for me though I do like BloodBowl a lot!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you and your son had a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HW, it's always good when we get out together

      Delete
  9. Joe, I showed Ian W. (the chap standing up in the photo of the Roman vs. Celts game) this blog post and he's asked me to pass on his thanks to you, for giving them a mention and the photos. He's chuffed about their games recognition and featuring on a blog post of the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Roy, they deserved all the credit I gave them.

      Delete