Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 25 July 2016

Pirates

The first box - very dusty
Yes, I know that this is meant to be a blog about Zombie gaming, but generating interest from anyone else has proved less than fruitful and as I have found that solo-gaming isn't for me I have been looking to finish off some old projects, my Pirates being just one of many.
The task of finding where I'd stored my pirates was frustrating as I found one drawer of them quickly but the second (and the majority of my collection) took a bit of detective work - I guess I really should label all my storage!


Another view of the first box
The first box contained about ninety figures and I was pleasantly  surprised to find that amongst all the pirates wielding various melee weapons and firearms I also had a sprinkling of figures that could be (or maybe were) civilians, amongst them some women who would do well as serving wenches, servants and governors daughters!
There were of course several figures that were obvious destined to be gun-crew and a couple that were helmsmen, standing with arms akimbo.


I was delighted to eventually find the second box, hidden in plain view in a box file along with several others (all unlabelled of course)
Contained within the box was the same mix of figures as the first only more-so, there being some 160+ figures.
All the figures are based on 20mm square bases (and I have no plans to change this either) and have a 20mm magnetic base added too. They all sit snugly on sheet steel and don't move about much - probably much to their chagrin.
Close-up of some of the second (main) box
These were all painted at least fifteen or more years ago when I could just about see what I was painting and I remember not being happy with my attempts at the colour of their bases, though I am fairly happy now. 
The figures are: a mix of Redoubt (the first I bought); a large number of Wargame Foundry (though for some reason not the Treasure Island set - a choice  I regret); a lot of Eureka pirates - purchased from Irregular Miniatures iirc and a sprinkling of Ral Partha. Of course I can't really distinguish which is which now.

The inevitable pirate archetypes
What is not noticeable from the photographs is that that these have all had a gloss varnish applied to them (I think), but it has lost a little of its sheen over the years.
I'm also sad to have to say that sadly these figures have never been used in any games, not a single one! The sepoy/mutineer that I spotted within their ranks has undoubtedly been used in an Indian mutiny game or two and he will be re-deployed to his correct storage with his other comrades.
So although looking a little worse for age and in need of a good dusting off, they're still usable.


As I strive for something to blog about, please don't be surprised if I fall back to showing more photographs of these, I may even be able to drum up some enthusiasm among the few (the very few) potential opponents.


Once more, that's it then for another week, thanks for taking the time to visit and as always your comments are both appreciated and welcomed.






18 comments:

  1. Excellent they look like they have survived well in the storage as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased and surprised in equal measure too.

      Delete
  2. I believe I may have the Foundry Treasure Island set. If I can find them I will give them to you.... I do not think it is the full set though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer Clin, much appreciated it was the Ben Gunn figure that attracted me to the set, you can see that I really don' need any more peg-legs!

      Delete
    2. Do not think I have Ben Gun at all. More like Jim, Squire Trelawney , Dr Livesey et al... Maybe Billy Bones! (But only maybe)

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you too can find a use forthem.

      Delete
  3. So many pirates! Seeing some of your older collections, it still surprises me just how many there are!
    Sadly (or otherwise!), I can not relate to having miniatures this old and bringing them back to life, but it does make me feel better about my zombies - some day...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mattyoo, my 7YW armies are amost definetly older than you and you've got a long time of painting ahead of you yet.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks AL, I must have looked at the same box several times and had convinced myself it wasn't the one I was looking for - age has many drawbacks.

      Delete
  5. My word Joe, that's quite a collection, I do hope that they find some opponents soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, but being pirates I'm sure they'll find suitable ooponents amongst themselves. Nevertheless I do have some suitable British foot to oppose them too.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks HW, it certainly is, I think I may have got carried away.

      Delete
  7. Awesome Joe, well worth finding and dusting off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, still dusting (there is a lot of them)

      Delete
  8. What a nice collection of pirate-figures you got.I would battle you anywhere!I think it was very nice to see these pictures and I got a lot of inspiration to my own project.Keep posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, it was with your request in mind that made me seek them out

      Delete