Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 12 May 2014

Oil Drum Goodness

I was chatting to a friend about getting him to make me some oil drums, as he was currently experimenting with casting resin for both his own wargame projects and some non-wargame related items. The results of my request can be seen in the photograph.
As he was already in the process of casting some wooden barrels for his own use he kindly added some to my "order" along with some chests (very piratey) and some petrol cans.
Note: None of the items shown in any of the photos has had anything done to them as yet, being hot of the presses so to speak.
First up are the oil drums, useful for most of the 20th century and well into the 21st century, used all around the world.
The ones in the background are in fact the same height as those in the foreground, the effect due to the fore-shortening of the picture (and nothing whatsoever to do with my poor photography skills - no sir! ).
The slightly out of focus zombie is a Wargames Factory plastic figure shown for scale. 




Next up are  a few of the wooden barrels I received, nothing spectacular maybe, but perfectly adequate for my purposes.








The "piratical style" chests are small but beautifully formed with sufficient detail on them to be able to determine what they are at a glance.
These were quite an unexpected bonus and very well received, but like the wooden barrels it is also a temptation to resume my unfinished Pirate project.
Hmmm.







  And we're back in the room with something aimed at a modern setting.
These were yet another very welcome surprise and one that can be used in modern zombie settings without much trouble.
I personally think that these petrol cans are great, they can also have all sort of uses too and like all the other pieces these have some flash on them, but nothing that a file won't shift very easily. I also had to 'play' around with the photo to get the detail showing on them.





 
Amongst his other current projects are sheets of cobblestones, roof tiles and shingles, to go with the various houses he's currently working on, most though are still a work in progress. I've asked him to put some of his pictures up on line on his facebook page (Captain Jack's) which will no doubt happen in time. He has also made a lot of Futuristic models, and has a 'line' of hand crafted (and cast) vehicles too; if he gets round to putting pics up I'll put a link to them for you all to see.

That's it for this week, I'll keep whatever it was I was going to post this week for next time

As always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

30 comments:

  1. Very nice haul Joe. Details are always needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, to say I was pleased was an understatement.

      Delete
  2. Those all look excellent especially the oil drums. I'm looking for stuff like the petrol cans to use for loot counters for Across the Dead Earth you've given me a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them a lot and thought the petrol cans would be good as counters too.

      Delete
  3. Oh - I remember you talking about those! They are great, especially the oil drums, as it was said. I could think of places to put those petrol cans. They seem a bit simple in design, but there's really not much you can do with a can. Great plunder! Arrr (Pi-rates! Pi-rates!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that the petrol cans have any detail at all considerin their size, surprised me.

      Delete
  4. They're all very useful scenic items with multiple uses. Nice haul, matey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, is this yet another Piratey reference ?

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed the chat and catch up, started my blog 5mins ago.Am posting as Captainjackslcker which is also my FB I'd for my fairy doors. Nothing on my blog yet will take me a while to master it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, thoroughly enjoyed our afternnon too. Looking forward to your first post, I know you've got a shed-load of photos you can post (old stuff and new)

      Delete
  6. They look great - I hope we mortals can buy some, as I would love some barrels for my Wild West game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're great too, I'm sure that he'll be up and running soon.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, I could use some barrels and some oil drums for my gangster gaming set-up. Oh, and some palettes. Now I'll have to try and find some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my mate will be selling some soon.
      As for palletes they're very easy to scratch build, lots of bloggers (including myself) have posted about making them from the ubiqutous coffee stirrers.

      Delete
  8. Those should make some fine details for many different setups.

    The drums would be great at your construction site, or really anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you're right, I was thinking of gluing some together as a barricade too.

      Delete
  9. Great haul... its useful to have a lot of oil drums when you want your game table to look cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, these can be placed just about anywhere.

      Delete
  10. So I'm thinking that you'll be able to have a whopping big fuel depot in a game! No doubt some nutter will try to blow it up to kill nearby zombies or gangers :-) ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice collection. Everything has a use and all are useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I got a whole lot more than I wanted or needed, but I was well pleased.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I'll also tell the maker that they've been recieved well.

      Delete
  13. Those look great, should add some character to the table top. I'm sure a can of petrol could come in handy when fighting a zombie horde! Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, I was intrigued by the petrol cans but shuddered at the thoughts of fiery zombies !

      Delete
  14. Those looks superb and definitely more 1/48th scale rather than 'heroic' very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ZA, I'd never actually thought about the actual scale size of the them, as both barrels come in many sizes and oil drums seem to be a generic size. but the chests and petrol cans are really small.

      Delete
  15. Very nice result Joe! I like experimenting with resin too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the time, energy and money to experiment.

      Delete