Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 22 July 2013

Farmhouse (now with added ramblings)

As stated in last week's blog I have made a start on my Perry "North American Farmhouse"
which I'm pleased to say went together well.

I'm no great shakes with plastic kits, I've either got too much or too little glue in the wrong places.
 So far I've got to the stage where I'm putting detail onto (and into) the model.
Here's a few photographs of the story so far:
The kit in it's original form in the top centre of the photograph is a peculiar looking shaped piece which is actually from the Barn. I'll be incorporating it into the model.
The white sheet of plastic in the bottom left was going to be the base, but proved just too small.
 Internal detail is going to be sparse as it's a very small model. In this photograph I've added a fireplace and window frames (the windows all have perspex in, but I've since thought that this is a bit pointless for this model) Because of the verandah deck I've added an internal floor, otherwise there would be a step down into the main internal area which didn't look right to me. Hardly visible in this photo is the the hearth, made from scrap card like the floor.
 Front view showing the internal frames for the windows and rear door.
 Similarly a shot of the rear of the building showing frames but also showing what happened to that cut-off from the barn. (It's a rear porch roof above the back door now). You can also see the  ragged white plastic that will be the new base.
This photograph shows the two pieces of roof glues together. Roofs are notoriously weak in my experience and I tend to brace them if they're going to be removable. Here I've filed a piece of sprue to loosely fit in the internal 'v' of the roof and glued it in place. Next I've added more glue and plastic dust from filing more sprue, it makes a very firm join.
 The first stage of painting after the black undercoat a brown layer of paint to alleviate the harshness of the black.

The back "porch". I've added two posts to support the porch roof and a card piece as the ground for the porch. The back wall shows the the first layer of grey over the brown. Successive layers will be a lighter grey then white.
As I stated at the start of this blog the farmhouse isn't quite finished and whilst waiting for glue to set and paint to dry I've added the buildings below to my wip's.

They're going to be more "flats" as I did earlier this year, thanks to a friend who gave me six sheets of foamboard (each about half the size of a sheet of A1.) (they can be seen here)
Finally here's a photograph of six huts I made for a colonial game set in a fictional part of Africa.
There's no real reason to show them here but it gives a good chance to link to Clint's current project (Project number 87 for this year I believe) and you can see his progress on his blog here.
You may want to back-track a few posts though and read about this project from the  beginning.

As always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.


  1. Great work on the farm house :)

  2. Cheers mate I think your huts look a lot better than mine. Maybe I'll re-do the roofs The current ones are pollyfilla and I have some spare fur fabric now so while it is a bit more work I think it will be worth it.

    I was wondering about this building, Perry Miniatures, as well as your previous building. As a Kit, it looks OK but I very much like your improvements. For the cost of the kit I would hope for either more parts or more options. Which is no criticism of your workmanship. I look forward to seeing the finished building.

    1. The huts were made from a quarter inch thick cardboard tube ! They're about 3" diameter and about 3" high with about 1" to the eaves. Rood as you have intimated faux fur.

      I was a bit disappointed too with the building, I'd really have expected a bit more for the money. The three different styles of fences, each not enough to surround the building is a real bummer.
      It's a good model for a "glue together paint and put on the table" overall.

  3. It's the little extras that make it even better sir!

    1. Thanks AL, not unlike a few of your pieces where you've added bit and pieces. Such extras do really make a model "your own".

  4. Great work yet again Joe. You should find yourself some of those plasticville buildings everybody loves so much, those'd give you lot to modify.

    The little houses are nice. Kinda cute :D. What period were they used for? "Dorke's drift"? :P

    1. The huts were used for a colonial game called Umbonga from the "By Jingo" wargames site:


      I've wanted some of the Plastiville buildings for a while too.

  5. Very nice job, on the hut your additions certainly make it shine. I'd of though two types of fence would of been a better choice than three and then perhaps there might if been enough. But then its probably so you buy another kit with more fencing in.

    1. Thanks Brummie, Renedra even do boxes of one type of fence. I'd have even settled for just one more length of the picket fence!

  6. I wish I had stumbled across this earlier as I've just been working on the same farmhouse as a cricket/lacrosse pavilion for my St. Trinians and stupidly didn't even consider opening it up - doh! Great job though and the barn earlier.

    1. A cricket pavilion is a superb idea for this model! I'll be keeping an eye out for it.