Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 18 March 2013

Billboards (1)

"I can see my house from here."

Whilst waiting for things like glue to set and models to dry out I tend to tinker around with bits and pieces and over the last few weeks I've been putting together some billboards for my "city".
They're all more or less made the same way other than this first one.
This particular billboard is the largest of the twelve I've managed to finish, it stands about 6 inches high and the "base" measures about 6 inches  deep by 5 inches wide. (15cm x12.5cm x 15cm - hwd).
Because of its height there is a gantry just below the sign (you can see Sid standing on it in the photograph.) - these would  probably have lighting etc on them but would be a pain to make and serve little purpose in a game. There may even be  an access ladder integral to the structure but again I've left this out and couldn't spot one anyway on those I've looked at.
This is also the only billboard I've made that has the "pads" on the supports. The pads are meant to represent concrete foundations for the whole thing and are made from scraps of foamboard gunked up.
The poster sits on a piece of card and the gantry is a piece of plastic canvas that I've shown used for quite a few things previously.
All the supports, crossbeams and so on are made from coffee stirrers.
All the uprights and angled "legs" are a bit more substantial and are four coffee stirrers glued together.
The coffee stirrers I use are a bit on the flimsy side and tend to warp a little when glue is applied to them so I clamp them together whilst the glue dries (PVA) . Bulldog clips and some cheap plastic clamps do the trick nicely.
The four-layer stirrers are a bit to thick to cut, even with a heavy-duty craft knife, so I use a razor saw instead.
The two photographs above  show the obverse and reverse of the same two billboards. Bo are constructed in a similar fashion from stirrers. The "Beer" billboard was one of the first that I
started and I had many problems with it, but these were overcome as my design of these improved.
Both of these models would be equally at home on buildings or on the side of a road, especially the smaller one.
 This is another one of the larger billboards and follows the same design as those above, except for the extra small supporting legs sticking out of the front main uprights.  Without this extra support the models are very prone to falling forward, which I'm sure would be a pain in the proverbial during a game.

The above two are no different to the others save that I've used some matchsticks on the reverse of the boards (which you can barely make out) representing some form of support and for a bit of variety.
All the posters for my billboards came from  the Interweb and as far as I'm aware are actual photographs of billboards.

That's it for this week, next week I'll put the remaining six billboards that I've completed  on my blog, providing I can see well enough to do it as I have an eye operation this week !

It just remains for me to welcome my three latest followers, "CPBelt, Warhamster and Mistersam", so - "Welcome guys", I hope you find something here that interests you.

As always, comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

20 comments:

  1. Awesome mate, I've been tinkering around with making billboards recently myself, so it's nice to see what you've come up with. Good.luck with the op mate and look forward to seeing moret of these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, once I'd got into a system for doing them they werequiteeasy, more time was taken waiting for the glue to dry then actually making them.
      I'm sure the op will be OK, thanks for the thought.
      More billboards next week.

      Delete
  2. Very nice looking billboards, well done mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SK, just following in your footsteps

      Delete
  3. Another batch of great pieces! And all finished, how do you manage it? :)

    I like the posters you've picked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mathyoo, with so many projects going on I'm bound to finish a couple no and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really excellent especially the posters themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AL, I had great fun finding them all.

      Delete
  6. Awesome signs love the messages they convey are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, they are a bit different aren't they ?

      Delete
  7. Great, very impressive. Another use for stirrers, must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans Irqan, stirrers are the equivalent of Swiss army knife for scratchbuilders

      Delete
  8. *Where* in the name of goodness did you get those images for the billboards? Wonderful!

    You know, I'm really looking forward to seeing your town all built up some day. I imagine you've got enough of some items to populate a very large board (I still remember the number of toilets you built :-) ). Are you far off being able to set up a game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My google-fu was with me for the billboards,plus a bit of photo manipulation later got me the rectangular signage.
      Once I have the four buildings I'm currently trying to finish the exteriors of (at least) finished I intend to putall I've got on a table.
      I'm working on looking at and amending rules and when I'm fairly happy with them I'll be putting on a game.

      Delete
  9. Hey Joe what do you know....? Yet more detail for your city, at this rate there will be no where to put figures!!!! Seriously though a really nice addition. Hope the Opp goes as planned and that you make a swift recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, more detail, all I need now is the city to put it all in !
      Thanks for the thoughts re my op.

      Delete
  10. The posters are very amusing and your billboards have come out well. Once again, you prove to be the master of coffee stirrer usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, more cofee stirrer magic on the next billboards, but then I have a little something without a coffee stirrer in sight !

      Delete