The first criteria was that the boards had to fit on my table top of 8' x 4' (approx 2440mm x 1220mm), with no overlap. The second criteria was that all the boards had to tessellate to enable varying board layouts.
|Terrain board and tiles|
The sheets of MDF come in are the same size of the base board that I have and were able to be cut to a standard 600 x 600mm square.
The cork tiles come in 300mm squares in a pack of 9 tiles. The decision to use cork tiles was made a lot easier by the fact that I already had several !
The tiles were either going to be used whole or in 50mm wide strips (for pavements), 150mm squares or half tiles (150mm x 300mm).
I had determined early on that I wouldn't have roads running down the middle of the terrain boards as I'd found this very restrictive when making river terrain, although these being roads suitable for the USA it may not have been that important. The photograph to the left shows the various basic pieces. The short strips were off-cuts from another project of many years ago.
This black are is here the actual roads will be and the raised areas are the cork pavements etc.
This board is a basic T-junction and uses 1 whole tile, 2 half tiles, 3 300mm x 50mm strips and a 150mm x 50mm strip.
All in all then this particular board would use the best part of 3 whole tiles.
These two photographs show of all the boards with their tile overlays in place.
Having determined which bits went with which boards and in which orientation (taking advantage of the manufactured straight edges wherever possible) I then beveled off all the edges of the pavements.
This in itself was a tedious boring task, b ut one I felt that had to be done.
In the top-right of the photograph you may be able to make out my rough working-outs of the eight boards.
From this photograph you can see that I also needed some 50mm x 50mm squares for some corners of various boards. This was pre-planned and they came from the smaller off-cuts that I had around.
It should also be noted that I'm one board short of my original eight. This came about because I wanted to make a curving 90 deg. bend rather than a standard right angled one, and I was one cork tile short !
These next four photographs are all of the same board configuration.
The coloured board, whilst it may look a bit blue, is in fact a fairly dark grey (I'm going to sack that cameraman one of these days).
The blue/grey board was an experiment to see if a spray tin would suffice to colour in the board.
It took far too long and too much spray, so that idea was abandoned.
Filler was used on the pavement for additional texture and to seal the join between pavement and road.
Really a lot of thought you have put into it. Which is a good thing! Well done so far mate!!ReplyDelete
Thanks LS,the seven finished boards will be revealed in all their "glory" next week.Delete
A great start. Will look forward to next weeks post then!ReplyDelete
Thanks Brummie, I'll be outlining some problems I had too.ReplyDelete
Excellent work. Very nicely done. :)ReplyDelete
Looking good, I hate it when I end up one Tile, piece, base, etc short!ReplyDelete
You're right, it's complete pants trying to get motivated again, just because you're a bit short !Delete
It really got me rethinking my board. I should mount my cork tiles on mdf, too. I bought 2x3' 4mm for strange aeons and Im quite satisfied, so I would probably pick that instead of 6mm you used, but the point remains the same. You use 2x4' boards? I was thinking of using 2x2', 4 of them make nice modular table, but 2x3 could also be nice, being in just 2 pieces and 3x4 still makes a good playing area with my restricted place. What do you think?
I'veactualyused2' x2' boards, but I have two additional 2' x 4' boards still to still make up.Delete
As my base board is about 8' x 4', 2'x3' boards wouldn't tessalate as well as the 2'x2' ones.
I thought this arrangement out for many weeks before I cut or glued anything.
I think the others have really said it already, but that looks really good so far! I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses, as I have been planning to make some modular city tiles like this for quite some time. Never got round to it, though...ReplyDelete
I'll tell you of a couple of pitfalls I've had next time, but getting it all together wasn't that difficult really.Delete
Preplanning for a project like this is absolutely essential. I'm impressed with your work done so far, and like the others, I can't wait to see the finished product.ReplyDelete
Thanks Bryan; I probably over-plan things.Delete
Great work so far! Its a great size table which I look forward to seeing progress :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Rovanite, it makes a good work area too.Delete