Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 7 November 2022

Winchester

 
Not the famous western firearm, but rather the beautiful cathedral in the county of Hampshire, that was the main objective of our trip south (through horrendous storms). We only had a single day to explore both the cathedral and the Great Hall.
The photograph on the right shows the front of the cathedral's west wall, with the main window looking more like a modern day abstract mosaic as the original glass was shot through by parliamentarian soldiers in the Civil War.


Here's the photographs:
The North wall with four information stands showing the developement of the building.
One of the four information stands
Looking down to the east altar and quire and (imho) a ghastly modern 'star'
The view down the nave towards the west entrance
One style of window
Another style of window with 'cleaner' lines imo.
No caption necessary
This was about half the tiles that could be seen (note the modern replacements too)
Detail showing the many, wonderful tiles
The roof of one of the many chapels in the cathedral
Entrance to the crypt (I didn't take the tour)
Some of the many flags to be found in the cathedral
More flags, British Legion I think
Heraldic banner in one of the aisles (there were others)

One of th many epitaphs, around the cathedral, that caught my eye...
It was the palm tree in particular that drew me to this

Lieutenant Turner of the Bengal Native Infantry and commandant of the corps of guides.




A good model of the cathedral.

That's it for this week, I'm keeping the few photographs I have of the Great Hall, in reserve, until next week.
 
Thanks for taking the time to visit, sorry nothing to report on the hobby front, but  I'm still hopeful.
 
As always your comments are both welcomed and truly appreciated.


8 comments:

  1. Great pictures Joe, great that you were able to make the trip. I know Winchester very well, as the wife and I lived there for two and a half years, at one point it was listed as the best place to live in the UK, but I would add if you have no interest in doing anything on a night time ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, it was a great trip and I can well believe what you say about the place.

      Delete
  2. Oh, beautiful place! Thank you so much for a photos sir.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Michal, beautiful place and a very cosmopolitan vibe

      Delete
  3. Fab pics what a beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, I've wanted to visit this place for many years and my wife wanted to re-visit it from when she was 12.

      Delete
  4. Lovely pics of a magnificent building, Joe! One thing I miss about the UK is the cathedrals/castles/abbeys and so on, although now I live in a much older part of the USA there are some actually old buildings around, unlike California where anything over 50 years is considered ancient LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, though there may not be much very old history, what there is in the USA is fascinating.

      Delete