Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 15 November 2021

7YW Austrians (FA #14)


Following on from last week's post of my 'ancient' Prussian 7YW army I dug out the drawer containing my Austrian army, though I also had to dig through another drawer to find their Grenzers.
All but the Grenzers are once more Spencer Smith figures, bought in the early 1970s and hve fought against the Prussians in many, many, battles. The Austirans have also doubled as French in our refight of Minden, with the Prussians standing in as Hessians and other 'minor' German states. 
The photograph above shows a single battalion of Austrians, with an extra base of figures representing their far bigger battalions than most other nations'.
The whole regiment of two battalions.

 
Hand-painted flag
...and the other colour.

On a separate note, the Austrians, all but about two regiments, were not painted by me, but by a friend (now,  sadly, living across the country and no longer playing wargames).

An Austrian brigade
One of the regiments of Austrian 'Germans'
Again, beautifully painted flags (imo at least)
Painted when colour photocopiers were a long way off.
Austrian combined grenadier battalions
Grenadiers also donated their heads for officers and drummers!
Bonus rear shot ! (Padding - Ed.)
My sole unit of Grenzers (Hinchcliffe iirc)
It's a bit of a faff, but they can also go into open order skirmish fornation.
Finally the drawer they all 'live' in:
The set of eight drawers has also been with me since the 1970s !

 So that's it then for another week; next week will see my collection (drawer) of British and Hanoverians - the redcoats are coming !

Thanks for taking the time to visit and as always your comments are , as always, both welcomed and truly appreciated.

16 comments:

  1. Another great looking army Joe, and so nice to see another piece of your gaming history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dave, you're very generous, but I'm just really filling in posts with what I have.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, I do have the necessary cavalry and artillery too !

      Delete
  3. Love this army, Joe, it looks great and the handpainted flags are just amazing. Were the designs drawn on first, or were they freehanded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, the Austrian flags were b/w phoyovpies then hand painted iirc, the Prussian flags were all just done freehand

      Delete
  4. Excellent Old Skool figures Joe! The flags are brilliant, I mean who would want to tackle painting them! Not me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, the Austrain ones are very tricky flags, just as well I didn;t paint that many!

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking Austrians and awesome flags!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Iain, I find it difficult that my friend and I did these about fiufty years ago ! (ans imho they've stood thetest of time too)

      Delete
  6. Yet more wonderful Spencer Smith's, thank you for sharing. These images gives me inspiration and ideas for my Spencer Smith armies, keep them coming.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TBG (Willz), I was surprised to find anyone still using tese figures,; with you I now know of two ! The latter is invested in the metal versions too !
      I have one lot of infantry to show next Monday, as mentioned above, they are my very small collection of British infantry and a much larger and relatively newer, Hanoverian army.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, but please refrain from adding web links.

      Delete
  8. I can only guess at the amount of time you must have put into painting an army of that size Joe, & the amazing thing is you have more than one, a true Labour of love 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, in those days it was nothing for me to paint 200 figures or so at a time - just blocking in the colours, no shading or highlighting in those days !.
      Just another two armies' infantry to go, then I'll start on the cavalry !

      Delete