Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 19 October 2020

The "Big Hotel"- progress!

 This last week has seen me continuing to work on the rejuvenation of my 54mm western projects, although a lot of the time has been waiting for models to dry thoroughly. Most of the work has been repairing the ‘Big Hotel’. Upstairs needed a lot of walls re-attaching, furniture (tables and beds) needing repair whilst the outside staircase needs replacing, having completelt disappeared without trace ! The balcony rail (completely missing) and several doors also need attention.


Downstairs, the internal stairs needed repairing (but at least it was all there); upper floor supports needed repairs; furniture mostly need the odd leg or two glued back in place; a few walls needed re-attaching and the floor was given a supporting block glued to the underside.  The ‘stove’ was in two pieces (built from a funnel) and easily repaired, but still need to be glued in place.
The furniture was all repaired and replaced inside, but there seemed to be no room for the roulette table!
The back room, that had been the worse for wear, was given a new lease of life too.
A lot of other furniture was also repaired, knocked off my table and repaired again (damn you woolly cardigans!).
The photos show most of the above plus my small collection of American Revolution figures (Timpo and Britains) plus my ACW cavalry - with the added bonus of the obligatory blurry pic of my ACW infantry !

Heres a good pic f the "Bingo" boards I 've used in most of the construction of my western models:

In other news, I’ve still been looking at ways of converting my old campaign to the new system I intend to use using TRWNN. Converting three character types to four; the three mains characteristics of Melee, Handgun and Rifle skills to a system that doesn’t have any have all been under my consideration too this last week. I was aided by the finding of my rather yellowed, tattered and coverless “Old West Skirmish Rules” and inspired by my copies of Mike Blakes (iirc) write-ups ten of their group’s games (less the front page).

Thanks to Ray (of his “Don’t Throw a One” blog fame), pointing me back in the direction of Dave “Doc” Dochery’s blog “One man and hisBrushes”, I’ve downloaded his version of  the TRWNN – “Blazing Dice” and his Serenity Campaign – all inspiring stuff !

That’s it then for another week; this version of blogger is still tedious and I feel very unsatisfied with my blogs atm.

Thanks for taking the time to visit and as always, your comments are both  welcomed and appreciated.


20 comments:

  1. The repairs are coming on nicely Joe, and there's a lot of detail in the hotel, and that's a lot of models you have there ready for gaming.
    Good to see the waste not approach with what you based your buildings with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, Once I get the requisite cards organised, I'l be ready to give it a go (probably well before all the repaairs are done too!).
      When I made these buildings I had little to no spare cash and used whatever I could.

      Delete
  2. Looking good Joe. Dave's rules are great fun to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I've taken on board what few rules he has altered from the original TRWNN and I will, of course be tweaking my own version too.

      Delete
  3. Great work Joe. Love those AWI figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, it's a pity I have so few of them; the Britains figures were very expensive amd theTimpo ones were very hard to find - they're all probably vintage collectors items now.

      Delete
  4. More good work done Joe & & these post are getting me wanting to go back to working on my own Western stuff, but I need to hold firm for now.

    I'll be interesting to see how you get on with the rule set as I've not got a set of rule yet for doing Westerns games apart from Tombstone that I'm not over happy with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, I think most gamers have a yearning to play western games, somehow mthey spark the imagination of us all. The rules are well written and easy enough to follow; my reservations are minor and easily overcome imo.The major sticking point atm is having to have a set of game-specific cards for ease of play though playing cards could be used.

      Delete
  5. Coming along nicely, I like the round tables and the roulette table!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, all mad when I didn't really know anything about scratch-building, nor did I have any decent tools or materials !

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, much appreciated. Keep watching for more progress, though it will be slow !

      Delete
  7. 54mm? That's a *big* hotel, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6, even for 54mm figures it's a tad on the large size

      Delete
  8. You could play a whole game set just in the hotel. There's lots of detail inside your buildings, something I really like but never manage to achieve myself.

    So it sounds as if you're thinking about playing a western game, that will be fun and something to look foorward to.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, there has been at least two 'Bar fight' solely in the 'Big Hotel', both at the annual reunion of those that fought on the Caonfederate side in hte 'War of Succession' and both interupted by Union soldiers !
      Once I get the necessary cards sorted and the character conversions sorted (from my Old West rules to TRWNN, I will be having a trail run.

      Delete
    2. I'll look forward to that.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Vagabond, though writing it up will no doubt be a trial.

      Delete
  9. Good to see you tucking into such a worthwhile project, Joe, and the repairs seem to be going very well. Pleased to see you're coping with blogger too and still posting regularly - your stuff is always a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, reapirs are tedious but necessary, luckily there's not a lot of major repairs left to do, but there is still a lot of fiddly things to sort.
      The new blogger is still a pain, with a lot of things still missing (eg. Photo captioning), but I am managing.
      I still can;t comment on your Wix site - have you disabled comments accidently ? *I've also logged out and logged back in twice, but still to no avail. The conclusion is Techology hates me !

      Delete