Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 1 April 2019

My Mosque

Spot the tourist on the minaret- he's a 28mm figure on a 20mm square base.
This week I'm posting about this model of a Mosque I made sometime about twenty to thirty years ago. It's copied from one in one of the wargames mag of about the same time, though I forget which.
It's built mainly from heavy duty card, balsa wood and bits and pieces.
The base is a piece of plywood about 12" x 15" and the height to the top of the minaret is about 18".
It was made for no reason that I recall but was used a few times in some Indian Mutiny games.
Side view (bit obvious)
Obligatory boring rear view
Arches, made from card, dowel and wall filler
Minaret walkway; cocktail sticks and beads
Dome; cocktail stick embedded into a home-cast clay dome and more beads
Doorway. Note damage (damn balsa), several bits of similar dmage can be seen
In addition to this Mosque, I made, at roughly the same time, two other buildings.
Quite a big building!
Rear view
Side View
 The base of this building was a block of packing form (rarely are these cuboid)
The main walls were all drawn out in this card in one continuous piece and 'wrapped' around the polystyrene block. Stairs were bits scrap with hardboard bases,
The whole model was covered in filler and painted
The base (once used as a coffee table maybe)
The other "wrap-around" building
"Interesting" side view (the other twp are blank)
So there you  are, my entire 28mm middle-eastern building collection.
It took quite a while to dust them down, but it's still evident on some of the photos.

And that is it for another week, one in which I looked at basing some figures up, but didn't, perhaps I'll look at basing again this week!

Thanks for taking the time to visit and have found something to interest you in my nostalgic visit to old stuff!

24 comments:

  1. That mosque is a thing of beauty, what a great build Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Michael, but it does need a good dusting!

      Delete
  2. That is not only wonderful but cracking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AL, any more and I'll start to blush !

      Delete
  3. Nice pair of buildings and a terrific mosque! The arches are lovely as is the minaret! A great bit of scratch building!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, they were amongst my first attempts at scratch-building and didn't turn out too shabby imo.

      Delete
  4. Joe that's a wonderful bit of work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, they were very basic models and only the domes were difficult (the one on the minaret came from a baby bath bottle top)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant looking building Joe! I've never tried to scratch build something of that size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, strangely nearly all my scratch-building were of larger structures. Building bigger means you have to learn a lot more and a lot quicker.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, it would m ake a good back-drop for figures too I guess.

      Delete
  7. A very fine looking mosque it is as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint abd it's big enough to hide almost an entire army behind!

      Delete
  8. Absolutely brilliant Joe, I would be proud to have that mosque on my table. The details in the arches, the dome and mineret is excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, it has been centre stage in a demo game at a show too (many years ago)

      Delete
  9. Marvelous stuff Joe, and after all this time, they'd look great on the table for quite a few different styles of game - and across a wide span of eras too.
    Very impressive and I'm envious of your talents :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA,the mosque too k quite a while to make, I'd do it with foamboard these days - much easier thanthe very thick card I originally used.
      I guess it could be used for any Islamic setting too.

      Delete
  10. This mosque is a very nice model and I like the result very much.A real pity that it has only been used rarely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, I think it would beused more often if I could get opponents - lke many of my armies, terrain etc.

      Delete
  11. Very nice scratch modeling, Zab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, not too shabby then for an old attempt ?

      Delete
  12. The mosque is really awesome. You should run a middle east zombie battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BF, that's something I'd have never contemplated, but can't see it happening.

      Delete