|BOM Downtown Office.|
The picture on the right shown the original two sheets of the WorldWorksGames BOM (Bits of Mayhem) Downtown Office which was the start of this build.
It could of course had been a straight-forward build with little effort, four walls and a door would have been adequate enough for a reasonable sized building (the two sheets shown above fit easily onto an A3 sheet for example).
Most wargame building are smaller than I prefer and couple that with the size of bases most gamers seem to opt for it makes them look even smaller.
I decided to enlarge the buildings using the original two WWG sheets.
The changes to what would be the front of the building can be seen in the bottom right of picture on the left.
I've increased the width of the building by two windows and added a vertical strip at each edge, rather than having the neatly cut edge of the original.
Similarly, what would be the rear of the building has been modified so that the ground floor now as a pair of doors marked 'Fire Exit' (seen in the top right), the remaining portion of the ground floor rear wall being 'blanked of with panels, cut and
pasted from other bits of the original sheets.
The walls all have similar additions of extra windows; in this case 'blocks' of three windows instead of the two-three-two arrangement of the original and the 'front' door windows are not of the dark variety, but have been cut and pasted from the lighter ones.
This was originally intended as an add-on to the original main block and the second main entrance was an afterthought (more of which later).
The Fire Exit doors were also added, but this time in the centre of the longer building side , as can easily be seen in the photograph to the right.
Working from just two very similar sheets proved to be quite a difficult task making any significant variations. The fire doors came either from another WWG set or possibly from a Fat Dragon model, but I can't remember which.
I put it down mainly to my complete confusion as to what pieces I had asked for, which ones I needed and which ones I had got.
The most notable feature of this 'wing' is that the longer sides are based on the main building's front and rear pieces (count the windows on each floor), whilst the front has to be re-designed to fit the main building - if this hadn't been done I would have had walls abutting directly onto windows, which would have looked complete pants.
|Bonus building made from left-overs|
|Roof Trim and roof-top building|
The remaining pieces needed were the roof-trim for the inside of the roof 'balcony'.
The roof trims available from the WWG set weren't adequate for the job and I designed some, once more, from the original two sheets as well as a small roof -rop building that would act as a roof entrance/ exit.
Of the actual flat-top roof bits, three are plain grey concrete monstrosities but the one for the main building has a helipad.
|The most interesting of the roofs|
That's it for this week and with a bit of luck I'll get the last print-out that I need this week and get started on assembling all the bits together - fingers crossed.
I've also updated my other blog, which can be seen here.