Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 6 July 2020

Giant Rat thing

The "Giant Rat thing" in the subject matter is my take on the 'Diprotodon' from "Steve Barber's" 28mm prehistoric range of figures, bought for use with the rules "Paleo Diet". The photograph on th right is shown alongside one of the 'Hollywood' cavemen figures from "Copplestone".
The model s a solid chunk of resin with good detailing, but is contiguous with the base (no gap under its tummy!"
Here's the rest of the photographs:
Other side view
Strange front view
Rear view (for those that lie this sort of thing)
Like all my prehistoric models it still requires a matt varnish spray, but is otherwise good enough for me to say it's finished and to add to the collection.

The reason for posting this is that my current Sudan Zouaves project is still in progress (and well underway), but is hitting a hurdle trying to get a decent yellow coverage, for trims, over a light blue jacket. The trim isn't  turning out a solid yellow, more a yellowy-green snot colour, despite using three different manufacturers yellow. I intend to paint the trim white initially then re-paint with yellow (Sunburst yellow from WF) but tis will probably take quite a few sessions - probably all this week, which means I'll be hard pressed to finish the froty or so Zouaves over the next week. I haven't been slacking over this last week either, managing six sessions of painting varying in length between two and four hours !

That's it then for this week , thanks for taking the time to visit an I'll be getting around to all the other blogs I visit and comment on as soon as possible.

And, as always, your comments are always welcomed and truly appreciated.  

(I note there's still no sign of the impending change to Blogger yet - now changed to "sometime in July")
  

12 comments:

  1. Great looking prehistoric creature Joe, Reminds me of an early form of Tapir, sounds like you've been very productive, and hope you solve your yellow problem without too much headache.
    I noticed that there is going to be an option in settings where you can elect to use classic ( the current form were running) instead of the new one due out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, it does look like a Tapir, but there is a more-tapir like animal (I forget its name), with its prominent incisor teeth, its definetly of the rodent variety imo.
      The yellow thing is definetly goong to be a pain, but will be done.

      Delete
  2. Nice beastie to battle in Prehistoric Jimland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, it almost cetain to be feature in Jimland, sometime in the future.

      Delete
  3. Corking addition to your "Paleo Diet" menagerie, Joe. Interesting that the beast's stomach is stuck to the base. I presume that made casting the creature a lot easier? It does look suitably formidable a sculpt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, casting anything on a base in resin is probably very tricky and I reckon it must be much easier to cast like this.
      Overall I like the sculpt, but if it had been made in two halves even, it would have been a lot better imho.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks you Michal, makes a change from humans at least !

      Delete
  5. Yellow is always such a weak colour, I think your idea of white and then yellow will be best.

    Do you think you will get round to a game of Paleo Diet, they are simple rules for the animals and I'd be interested to see your take on the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, I am going with the white then yellow approach - very disappointing that yellow is, as you say, such a weak colour.
      I like the whole idea of prehistoric wargaming but was very frustrated by the sole game of Paleo Diet that I played. It's all about the numbers, four figures using just a single die hav more than a half a chance of 'failing', the odds go up dramatically using more dice. I may have missed something and will be giving it another chance in the future.

      Delete
  6. Great looking enormous rat! I think your doing the right thing with the yellow, what I sometimes do is yellow ochre first as it can cover and at least your halfway there and if you miss a bit it's kind of yellow!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain; I never thoguht of using ochre, strange because it's my go-to colour for all manner of things ! I will be giving it a try too.

      Delete