Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 7 August 2023

Robin Hood, The Gladiatress and more 54mm

 The eye catching title to this month's post is reference to what I've mostly been doing this last month, besides the mundane real-life stuff- celbrating my wife's birthday, her retirement, #1 son's birthday, a trip to my consultant (who now doesn't want to see me for a year !) and so on. 
In the early part f last month we played a couple of Gladiator games, but that has gone dorant as we await version 1.7 of the rules to playtest. The rest of the month I have been assembling all the bits I need to play the Game " The Legend of Robin Hood by Avalon Hill way back in the mists of time.  The 1st photograph is the board itself , but note the 30cm ruler at the top to give an idea of the board size (if you can't imagine the size of an A2 piece of card).
The map/board is made of 10 sheets of A4 spliced together. and glued to the A2 sheet of cardboard.
Home-made, two sided counters
A bag of plastic coins, one of two I bought in the 90s
Two qrs sheets laminated
The two qrs sheets are also two-sided.
The rules too, of course, a mere 6 double side sheets.
All that's left is for me to pick out a single die to play the game.

To keep me in the mood for gladiators I watched a film released in 2004 called Gladiatress (sic) and that's one and a half hours of my life I'm never getting back ! It was also about half way through that I realised I'd seen this before, but even then I couldn' stop watching as the horror that was this film unfolded before me.

 It's far worse than even "Gladiator" (which is bad enough) and is rather your typical British farcical 'comedy' film.  





I've also decided to show you some of the last bits of 54mm figures from Historex that I still wish to be rid of. I looked for Historex on the Interweb, found their website and discovered that acsimple 54mm figure can cost upward of £16 !  So take a look at the stuff below and guess how much it's all worth !

Random Labels amongst the collection
About twenty bags of legs, torsos, arms, armament, heads, hats and lots more.
A close-up of a single bag
As I get annoyed just having to glue a 28mm figure together, these would drive me demented.

All the various work has now finished on our house and I'm hoping to get atleast a couple of gaes in next month.

So that's it then for another month, thanks for taking the time to visit  and as always your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

16 comments:

  1. That's great news you haven't got to see the consultant for a year Joe, and also that the work in the house has been finished ( I wish that was the case in my place ! LOL) Good to hear you got in some gladiator games, and the new game looks excellent, and very thematic. As for the movie, can't say I've ever seen that one (thankfully by the sound of it ! LOL) but I did enjoy the Spartacus series they did, and the prequel series as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave and apologies that I've had to reply to you again, it seems the Aether has eaten my previous one.
      My house situation is nearly back to normal tankfully and I'm even considering playing on my games table at some time too!
      The Spartacus tv series is excellent despite havinf=g several errors (imho) in it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joe firstly my apologies, I said I'd check with my friend who displays 54mm figures on his library shelves, I did but total forgot to get back to you. I'm afraid he's not interested so no go there. Sorry.

    I quite like the Napoleonic figures but I imagine you are wanting to get rid of them as a job lot and I've no desire to start building and painting 54mm figures.

    Sounds good news for you on the health front so that's a bonus and it also sounds like you are playing a few Gladiator games, have you revived contact with your playing partner or were these solo affairs?

    The house decoration being done must be a big relief, work around the hose gets to be a big effort doesn't it. I cut our hedges and put my back out 2 weeks ago and it's still causing me problems. As my wife's granny used to say, Old age doesn't come alone. Very true I'm finding.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, esppecially with your efforts to rid me of those 54mms. The consultant has been seeing me for over ten years and it will be strange not seeing him for so long, but there's still my local clinic !
      ANd thanks for reminding me about hedges, my one is going beserk and I can't manqage it anymore by mysself and thus I'm relying on my offspring once they get their act together.

      Delete
  3. Good news on the Consultant front Joe!
    The homage to the Martin Elliot photo is I'd imagine the best bit of the movie?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KJT, you did make me chickle out loud and I think the poster probably was the best bit but I can't remeber anything resembling it being in the film.

      Delete
  4. The consultant news sounds very encouraging Joe, imho. I thought for a second you were referring to a female gladiator docu-drama I inadvertently stumbled upon midway through the other day. But even though I couldn't stand more than 5 mins of it before I switched over, it doesn't sound as bad as the film you mention. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, always good to hear from you, The docudrams you saw may have been in the series "Colosseum", which imho is pretty good and well worth watching the whole eight episodes., but it may well have been something else.

      Delete
  5. Grat's on getting a break from the doctors for a year! OK that's a lot of 54mm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, the consultant thng came as a very welcome reprieve. and the 54mms may have to find better storage than them sitting on my games table.

      Delete
  6. Good to know the consultant doesn't want to see you! That's a great looking board for the Robin Hood game; how does the game work? Do you just run around nicking stuff off rich people? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, the game is a slow build as Robin tries to avoid xapture by the Sheriff, recruiting leaders and Merry men with the occassional bit of robbery of Noble and clergy on the Highways.

      Delete
  7. Robin Hood looks good, Avalon hill is a blast from the past! Good news on the consultant and the sub Xena film doesn't look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I have several AH games, which were really tricky toget in the 70s ! I missed out on this one the first time round but it's a great game imo.

      Delete
  8. Very inspirational and looks like a nice game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, in about two hours too, by two of us that had never played before.

      Delete