Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 29 July 2019

Return to Jimland Prep.

Having now sorted my room out sufficiently to see the table and have a game, I've began preparation for my next excursion (incursion ?) into Jimland. Digging out the old files my expedition now consists of only three Explorers, having lost yet another Leader (Ned) but leaving a vast amount of cash ($470) to furnish a new Expedition.  
The new Leader will be Maximillian Sackville, scout - replacing both the late leader (Ned) and Scout (Ebor).
(Max is on the left in the photograph above).
The Planning Map
The next step was planning a direction for the Expedition to go in search of fame and fortune.
I've identified six areas that imo are viable.
Route one is to the west, with a river crossing and two days travel before a real start.
Routes twp and five have similar aspects as '1'.
Routes 3 an 4 require a single day's travel to their respective jump off points, with four having a vast expanse of the unknown.
Route 6 will take three days o get to, but has the advantage of a river to follow, which scores big ! 
Native cards. - square !
With the amount of cash available I can easily enlist another Explorer, have the full complement of bearers and the remainder personnel can all b  soldiers, which will leave a fair bit of cash in hand for interaction with any friendly locals that may be encountered.
As part of the preparation, along with my new Event cards which I'll be using I've also made cards for Native encounters, taken directly from my encounter chart.
Notice the differences and similarities of the cards/ I've altered a few to give a little more variation, but nothing game changing.
If I manage to finish off any pack animals, I'll be using them in this expedition too.
Pack animals cost the same as six bearers and carry the same number of loads and require another bearer to handle them- so where is their advantage ?
The advantage of course is that they don't add another six bearers to the maximum number of bearers allowed (20). So, two pack animals carrying 12 loads, with a handler (bearer) each, is the equivalent of 12 bearers counting only as two, leaving space for another 10 bearers.
 I've been spending a lot of time working on rules (of course), completely re-hashing my ammunition rules and coming up with a huge problem with canoes that needs some deep thought too.

In other News:

A while ago I posted about my card building that I've used for my 7YW games (and a single one for the ACW) and came across this site.
A dozen or so models similar (if not identical) to some of the ranges I used all those years ago !

All the models featured are Pdfs and are free to download too !










 
 I also came across this photograph I took a while ago (probably  for some rant about scale).
They are from L-R (as advertised at the time) 25mm figure (unknown origin)
25/28mm Hinchcliffe
25/28mm RSM (originally from Vandrad)
30mm (!) SAE (originally from Spencer Smith)
Unfortunately I couldn't find my Minifig figure (a 25S) which approximates well to the leftmost figure).
Goodness knows how the recent crop of huge figures compares to these, but the RSM figure is beautifully proportioned s is the rather bland SAE figure.

That's it then for this week, one in which I haven't been particularly busy, but still sufficiently motivated to prepare for another Jimland adventure.

Thanks for taking the time to visit, hopefully something here was of interest and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

23 comments:

  1. I'm so excited Joe :)
    The scale thing is a real bug-bearer for you, thankfully for me its something I can live with but I can see how it would pee people off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, yes the scale thing does bug me simply from a customer pov as you really don;t know what you're buying when something is "28mm scale" - Railway modellers would be up in arms at some of the apparent 'scales' of figures that don't match with other "similar" 'scales'.
      Oh, and I'm very plased that you too are excited !(hopefully about "Jimland")

      Delete
  2. Super excited, Joe. Love your "Jim Land" postings, and this one is a real tease :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, it's a tease only because I'm not quite ready yet.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks AL, let's hope it turns out good too.

      Delete
  4. It's good to hear you're enthused to restart Jimland exploring again and I'm looking forward to reading your next game.
    Thanks for the link to the card buildings, I'm just going to go and download them. I came across quite a few on pinterest. I keep thinking I would like to resurrect my 1750's campaign inspired by Gharles Grant and a few extra buildings will not go amiss. Of course it will never happen but it would be nice.
    Jimland - bring it on. Whoo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, whilst there are still a few rules bits I'm working on (mostly wording so that not only myself understands), but I'm allbut ready to go (probably this weekend!).
      i know how you feel about digging out the old and revive it - I long to have another P"Pony Wars" game andwould love to re-start my ficticious 7yw campaign too. If I was hopeful of gaming the 7yw again, I wouldjump at the chance of downloading and printing out the buildings, I think they're great. Charles Grant has a lot to answer for my interest in gaming in the 18th century too.
      I'd read more of my replies to get the gist of what's the current state of play in Jimland.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to tagging along with your Jimland adventure Joe 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uvir, maybe one day I'll b able to red others' games and ideas on this splendid little game.

      Delete
    2. Damn my stubby fingers Ivor !

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! I am very interested in the next entries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muchal, I hope they are interesting too #1

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful news Joe, a new team for a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, except thatFred has been around since he firstgame, but I know what you mean.

      Delete
  8. Nice post, looking forward to the expedition!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, bit of a 'filler' post really , but still hope you got something out of it.
      My new expedition is currently ongoing!

      Delete
  9. Great to see you're up-and-running again Joe, and many thanks for that link :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA, I found a few others similar linkns too, but didn't record them. The trick was to search Goodle.de (german Google) with a search in German.
      Jimland is indeed ongoing, even as I type this.

      Delete
  10. The native-load-bearers are getting nervous already, Zab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, why am I not surprised ?

      Postscript
      I have just finished playing the expedition - their fears were largely unfounded it seems.

      Delete
  11. Sounds promising lets see how the new leader gets on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, the first adventure was interesting...

      Delete