Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 15 October 2018

Prehistoric Progress

I have manged some progress with my prehistoric loot, but only just after another week of nearly complete lethargy, during which I also started a building, then abandoned it as I thought that more thought  was necessary to give the building a little more life from it's dull 'flatness'.
I'm petty sure most, if not all reading this will be aware of the  'Copplestone' cavemen series of four packs,  Yes, they're a bit Hollywood, but I like them for that.
Heres' a few pics of the packs and a few comments .
The first pack (above) contains five minis, the younger chap has a flint kife and the boy has a stone (flint hand axe ?). It may look like the latter has a sling, butt it's flash as they've just come straight form the packet. Five figures, five weapons !
Next pack, four women, five weapons.
Why one of the women id bare-breasted is beyond me (not that I'm a prude or anything), but it does seem unnecessary, even though I reckon they'd all be completely naked in a warm climate!
  Next pack four figures, seven weapons, including a spear with some form of bone-type 'point' (any clues would be appreciated).
Not a spectacular pack, but the arm positions do mean that both axe and pears look OK in their hands. 
The last pack, the 'characters', give the range the only bow armed figure, an antler figure without facility for holding a weapon, another figure wielding an axe (not much choice there about what he;s using) and finally 'Two-Feathers', holding a stick!
I've converted "Antler man" and "Stick man" to something I thought more usable.
Antler man with spear added



Two feathers, now with speary goodness

My purchase form "Arcane Scenery" (best delivery time ever) was their Mammoth deal, but I wasn't aware they were kits, needing assembly of tusks and tails!
Neither was I aware that they were resin and even though it doesn't bother me that much, there were some mold lines that needed removing.
The tusks are long sausages of lead that needed bending and the mammoths'  sockets for their tusks also needed drilling out., needing a trip to the local Hobby-craft store for a new set of miniature drills!
Other than unpacking my recent purchases, converting a couple of figures, adding weapons and assembling mammoths what else have I done ?
Well, the answer is not much, but I have based them all and undercoated them, with what I thought was white but turned out to be grey! (Age, poor eyesight and Hobson's choice)
IKEA mammoth, trunk, tail and tusks !
The Mammoths - those tusks are huge!
Still huge tusks in this picture too!
The assembled tribe, all based up and ready to paint (aargghhh)
I'm still awaiting my order from "Steve Barber" and it will have been two weeks tomorrow since I ordered them, but in the meantime I'm working out my next order to "Arcane Scenery" and even though I have more than enough humans, I do like their Cro-magnons.

Sorry about the more than usual blurred pictures, but when you pay peanuts you get monkeys and of course,  the photographer has been sacked !

That's it then for another week, thanks for taking the time to visit and as always, your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

18 comments:

  1. Great stuff Joe they all look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnks Frank, let's hope they still do when I get around to painting them.

      Delete
  2. Cracking looking figures and creatures Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, I too think they look good and I probably won't do them justice when they're painted.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks AL, possible a bit ambitious for my first hunt though.

      Delete
  4. Lots of progress! Seems like quite a bit of work in those Mammoths, but they look pretty good once assembled!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm not a big fan of resin figures or assembling figures (resin, plastic or otherwise), but the mammoths came out OK and didn;t take that long.

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favourite "minor" periods; the Copplestone figures are great! Did you consider adding fire to one of them (typically a burning brand)?

    DeeZee mammoths are big (well, mammoths - duh!), but they're really easy to paint for all that. In my experience they're a pain to store though, what with the sticking-out tusks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6, we're on total agreement re the Copplestone figures, but as for fire, I thought I'd add some cotton wool or similar to an axe weilding figure when the need arises. (But no, I hadn't really thought it out ).
      Without any preparation the mammoths undercoated really well and I reckon even I can make a fair job of them.
      Storage I hadn't considered, but I think they'll be OK in yet another plastic vegetable tray from my fiendly grocer.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear I can feel another project starting for me! I like it all I really do and am so enjoying this trip into pre-history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wellknow that feeling, in my case it's when I see and read Western games, but luckily if I really get the urge I can dig out my old (very old) 54mms!
      I've had the urge to do a prehistoric game for many years and finally took the plunge only after seeing the excellent aars reports by C6 and vagabond.

      Delete
  7. Very, very nice progress! Lovely minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, they'll be quite a challenge for me to paoint

      Delete
  8. I think you've made a good start, getting all these assembled and undercoated. You did well with the weapons, I'm sure I only got 1 for each figure.
    I think you might need new glasses, the 4 women should have 2 with bikini tops and 2 without. Strangely I find the idea of bikini tops really wierd, and very unlikely.
    I got the arcane Neanderthals but I agree the cro magnums look great as well.
    Good idea with the cotton wool for fire on a stick. I'll have to try and remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, you have a lot to answer for re this project (in a good way).On closer inspection, you're right the 'kdies' do indeed have two of their number topless. The only grief I have with the bikins are the halter tops. Roman ladies bound their breast for bathing with a simple band around them. Btw I too find the bikini tops idea strange too, but very Hollywood, I reckon they'd all be naked in a warm climate.
      As for Neanderthals, they too may well be on the Xmas shopping list!
      When using cotton wool a bit of wetness will adhere the cotton wool well, and removing it the same way!

      Delete
  9. Nice looking tribe you have collected together. Should be fun to paint. Wow this period is so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, but I find no fun in painting figures ! It doesn't help either that my my eyesight is deteriorating fairly rapidly, but they are a fun set of figures and the genre is a fun one too if not taken too seriously.

      Delete