Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 12 March 2018

WIPs

    Mahdist cavalry
Since my last post I have managed to do very little other than some painting and even then not finishing the unit of Sudanese that I thought I would have. I've continued painting up bases for figures and painted a lot of detail on the few cavalry that I have for this project.
British Cavalry




I bit the bullet and started painting the few cavalry that I have, then remembered why I dislike painting horses (and cavalry) so much. I keep finding extra bits that need painting, harness, blankets, etc. as well as tiny detail on the riders such as stirrups! The Brits have been almost completed for several weeks (and still are) whilst the Mahdist cavalry have been underway for a mere two weeks and are still not finished!.
All the infantry had taken a back seat for the moment as I really need space (which is unavailable currently due to the continuing work being done in the house) to organise them into units before the next stage of completion.
Camelry - worse than cavalry!
More camels for baggage ffs!
Whilst I haven't lost all interest in my Sudan project (I've even planned the 'final' purchases I need), I have realised the futility of it all, in that I'll probably never get to play a game!
With that in mind I have also returned to a project a started last November, so here's a teaser of wip that had to be put on hold for Xmas.
Obviously it's a building!
I think I've got too used to paying games and I'm having withdrawal symptoms, which, coupled with the kettle blowing up, it hasn't been a good week.
Over the next week, I'll be continuing with trying to get at least one unit finished for the Sudan.

That's it then for this week's offering.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Joe - Hopefully back to normal soon.

    I thought games were why we endured painting figures, well that's my reasons anyway.

    Horses - don't talk about the damn things, I'm trying to paint some for Little Whiskey and making a complete boll**ks of them.
    Your project looks like washing lines or maybe bamboo torture, there seems to be a floating building in there as well. Is this an outer space scenario?
    Ok I give in, what is it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're absolutely right, I've never played a game without painted figures, my problem is painting figures for a game I'll probably never play! The delay in playing Jimland was getting all the figures painted!
      The project is a uilding for JImland and any hot jungle environment - sono surprises there!

      Delete
  2. You're doing great Joe, just keep your head down and plod on (oops, wrong analogy perhaps?!)
    I reckon 'painting horses' is an age related malady - thinking back to the days of my yoof, I never gave 'em a second thought as I painted up a constant stream of armies across the historical spectrum, even including a Hun army of ENTIRELY mounted figures!
    Nothing else has changed apart from advancing years and failing eyesight, so it must be the reason I HATE painting the damn things - I feel your pain but they're coming along nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my problem with painting figures these days is that so much more is expected - no longer is block colouring acceptable!
      I reckon some of my 15mm ACW forces are better than my current 28mms too,

      Delete
  3. You have got a lot done. Far more than me this week. Makes me feel lazy looking at what you have achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, but stillnothing finished yet! (frustrating)
      Considering your prolific output\, you have nothing yto feel lazy or guilty about !

      Delete
  4. Keep plugging away you'll get them all done. Perhaps plan a game at a small local show with some friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Brummie, unlike a lot of armies these days, these are all metal and I couldn't possible lift them to a store. If I had interested friends I have space enough to play at home.

      Delete
  5. I hate painting cavalry mate, but love them on the field of battle....necessary evil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my thought exactly dGG, probably one of the reasons why I like the ACW (very few cavalry) and the Sudan has few cavalry too.

      Delete
  6. Hi Joe, your going great guns & don't forget the more done the less to do, at least that how I try to look at it when I feel bogged down with stuff to do, I guess the building is for the North Africa type.

    The kettle blowing up is I would think the last thing you needed with everything else that's going on, as for the painting horse's well I've only ever painted 2 but I do know that (for me) there's nothing worse then having to paint lots of the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, I do get thepoint, which is why I do keep plugging away, a little at a time and I don't mind repetitive painting on large numbers of figures it's just seems like cavalry (rather than just horses) take far more time than reasonable.

      Delete
  7. Nice work there Joe. Painting the horses are a lot of work but they will shine in battle on the gaming table.Are you also planning to make a desert-gaming-board in foam for these kind of scenarios?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ptr, always nice to hear from you.. I don't have that many of the four-legged beasts so it's really not that big a chore and they're nearly all finished !
    As for terrain, I think a new lot of terrain boards would be a massive storage problem for me and I'll probably use a sand-coloured cloth if I ever get to use them.

    ReplyDelete