Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 19 February 2018

The Warton-Cartington Expedition

The Warton-Cartington Expedition
I've had a very busy week,but not all for the right reasons. A clinic visit and a consultation with my consultant (surprisingly enough), which all cut into my hobby time.
Despite all the intrusions into my hobby-time I did manage to get my mandatory hour-a-day painting in on both my Sudanese (sword hits and second base colour) and three units of Allies have now all been, based and undercoated.
In addition I finished off three more figures I'll be using in 'Jimland'.
Three Egyptians Askari
In one of my job lot of recent buys I got three Egyptian rank and file and because they weren't carrying packs they were very quick to paint. I do intend to add four units of Egyptians (each of twenty figures)   so these were a nice practise run and will be used As Askari .
From the photograph above you can see that they've already had a run out in the Warton -Cartington expedition which I also played last week, but you'll have to wait until next week for the report. Needless to say I enjoyed it for all sorts of reasons.
The fairly boring rear view of the stand-in Askari
For getting older I received a new camera, which I'm my cameraman is still getting used to. so you have been told!
The three guys on the right are (from left to right)
An Irregular Mini figure of King Menelik II, though how I came into possession of it goodness knows!
Centre figure is, I believe a Foundry figure quite possibly the only one I possess and once more his origin is a mystery. The last figure is an Old Glory Boer, included with the job lot I've previously mentioned,
Rear view for those that want these type of photos (suspicious or what?)
None of the above three were involved in my latest adventure in Jimland. I have still been working on the rules for Jimland but was unable to put into practice any that I've finalised (though they all need play-testing). 
British unit (20 figures and odds and ends)
My Sudanese
£3.95 of white goodness.
Next week the Sudanese will be organised into their twenty-man units and have some detailing added
to them on a unit-to unit basis,
I had hoped to get them all finished by the end of February, but I'll settle with having at least one unit finished!
Quick mention for the white undercoat spray I used - bought from Wilko's - cost £3.95 -  I've manged to spray over well 400 figures not and it's still not quite empty!
It gives a really delicate coat to any figure without losing detail - well worth a try imo.
That's it then from me for this week I hope to get the write-up for the Warton -Cartington expedition into Jimland done by next week, but my week-end is booked for real-life endeavours.

So that's it then for this week I hope you found something of interest in this rather bland post and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

19 comments:

  1. Oh... great new additions to your explorers, Joe, mind you the way they've been dying in your recent "Jimland" exploits, you need to keep the numbers up :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx and cheers too for the encouragement !

      Delete
  2. Yep. Jungle fodder for the lions and the hostile natives. I've always been amazed at how hostile a an indigenous people can be when others encroach upon their homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next fantastic additions ! I love these project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, I'm pleased you're enjoying it, whichever 'it' is !

      Delete
  4. Very impressive progress with the Sudanese, I would have slit my wrists by now.
    My nearest Wilko is 18 miles away and they were out of primer so bought Humbrol small can at over £5:00 and ran out after about 80 figures. Wilko rule ok.
    Looking forward to Jimland - bring on the fodder :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 18 miles is a bit of a hike and I've been donein the past by expensive cans that last no time at all.
      The most recent Jimland game is being written up.

      Delete
  5. Good stuff Joe getting use to a new camera is never easy when you using it on such small things, I look forward to reading the next trilling tale from Jimland : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, photography was never my strong0point - I'm a point zand click type of guy.
      Next episode comung up, but thrilling ? We'll see/

      Delete
  6. Wow your perseverance with the Sudanese is to be admired Joe! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, but I do wonder how else you can get a large army together as it would kill me doing one unit at a time

      Delete
  7. I also use Wilkos Primer. be advised I find the white tends to block the nozzle unless care is taken.

    I like the Askaris, they don't need packs. The Porters can carry them in Jimland (They carry everything else)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I've had no nozzle problems to date, but have only used it three times!
      I do like the way you're thinking of the bearers too

      Delete
  8. Nice eclectic mix of mini's on display Joe, and if the pic's were taken with the new camera you can tell the camera man he's not doing a bad job :-)
    Looking forward to the Warton-Cartington expedition, so I'll not keep you from the typewriter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA, new camera yes, but the same useless cameraman!
      the Expedition notes are being translated now!

      Delete
  9. That's a nice force you're building up there Joe. I'm impressed by the one hour painting a day rule. As a mate of mine says, "Just get the brush wet and get some paint on the model every day and you WILL make progress". So true.

    They're looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DEW, as I hate painting, if I didn't impose some 'rule', I wouldn't get anything painted. An hour a day means I always get some progress done, even if just a little.

      Delete
  10. Yep, I'm another fan of Wilko's and their paints.

    Been a busy week for me too. Getting over a cold/fatigue from working very long hours selling stuff by the sea at Bournemouth (it was a bit weird - at Redcar the water is normally at my side at all times, down there the sea is either in front of you or behind. Funny place that 'down south'). Then registering at a new NHS dentist, as my practice has closed all its local branches in the area as it can't keep or hire new dentists - "There's no nightlife at Catterick Garrison. No restaurants. Night clubs. Nothing to do." being their reasoning, so they either go to Newcastle (so it's your fault!) or Leeds (who aren't real Yorkshire people, as they're not from North Yorkshire). Then this weekend it's the club meet up and I've got to read a WW2 rules set that is too complicated for me to understand - right pain in the arse.

    Yes, I know, I am a moaning git!

    Have a good week, Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roy, I must say I was very surprised how good the Wilko stuff was and how many others use it too.
      My week isalmost like yours most weeks, I can certainly empathise with you, except for the work bit - though I did two weekends' work on a holiday chalet at Bournemouth about fifty years ago!

      Delete