Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 12 February 2018

More Terrrain boards for Jimland

    Frederick (on the summit)and Henry trampling over the new hill.
This last week has seen me being very productive (for me at least).
I've managed to complete two new terrain boards; the broken one has been successfully repaired and another one has been finished too.
The colours don't match up exactly with the two other original ones but  they're close enough for me as they're not meant for demonstration games or such like.
The process was the same as previously - gunge, dark brown base colour then two shades of green and finally a light sandy colour.
Broken board, gunged and base-coloured
New board, (the line at the bottom is the previous board)
The 'new' hill board with added green
Completed Hill board (bored yet?)
My new game
During my recent holiday I played "Descent, 2nd edition and was delighted to find that it was a huge improvement on the 1st Edition that I played with #1 son. I was so enthused by the game that  I ordered my own copy.
Whilst awaiting the arrival of my new game, I wasn't idle though, for in addition to finishing off the two terrain board, ready for my next adventure into Jumland I've also been working on my own additions to Jimland Rules.
My additions.amendments are mostly based on Chris Ferree;s excellent rules "The Black Amazons In King Solomon's Lost City Of The Diamond Mines In The Elephant's Graveyard At The Source Of The Nile" and the very old (1978!) Avalon Hill game "Source of the Nile" as well as a few (very few) ideas of my own .
So I'm  currently looking at adding Medical Supplies, ammunition and water 'loads' for the bearers to lug about. Also the additional possibility of setting up Mission Stations, Hospitals and Trading posts by Explorers.
Current painting tray (obligatory very boring photo)
I've made rules for using canoes on rivers and I'm currently revising the 'Jimland' rules for pack animals and adding waggon transport rules too.
There are a couple more explorer type I'm also thinking of adding, but getting the balance right is     
important . I'm happy with the rules I've already added for my "Trader" type explorer, but it did take time to balance the character.
Of course my  Sudanese have been
worked on too.
All their bases have had the first base coat of paint done and similarly all their shield have had their base colour done too. The cavalry have all been removed to a dark place.

So with the boards now finished I can start planning the next Adventure into Jimland with the "Warton-Cartington" expedition and by next week I should have my three latest explorers finished too. Of course the continuing saga of my Sudanese painting will have the next step done - probably sword hilts and rifle barrels.

That's it then for another week, fairly boring I know - sorry!
As always your comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

20 comments:

  1. Glad to see you've had a highly productive week. The boards are coming along nicely. You can't see the repairs so that a job done well.

    The wagon rules as well as different supplies sound like they should make things a bit more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, boards just need that sheen fixed and the wagon rules are for two very interesting 'super cargo' scenarios from the "Black Amazons...etc."

      Delete
  2. Great work on the repairs, Joe. I certainly don't think I'd notice the work you've done on the busted board. Looking forward to the next Jimland adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx on both counts, another Jimland expedition is already being outfitted (I'm painting more figures for it too)

      Delete
  3. The boards are looking good, I envy you having the space for them.
    Had a look at King Solomon's Mines, ended up goggled eyed. You have some great resource's up your sleeve.B-).

    But I can hear a low background noise. Jimland, Jimland, Jimland, Jimland, Jimland, Jimland, Jimland, Jimland.
    Not that I want to influence you in any way at all you understand. :-D:-D:-D
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, I trust you mean the rules and not the flm (Only the Steward Grainger one is worth watching btw)
      Are you sure it's not the jungle telegraph you're hearing ?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks you Michal, your comments are always appreciated.

      Delete
  5. And I thought that *I* had a lot of miniatures on my painting table :-) ! That's a huge collection of figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's just over 300, I've always found it easier to mass-paint an entire army, the Sudanese are more or less uniformed, but I agree it is lot to most folk.

      Delete
  6. Hi Joe, as the other's have said a great bit of work on the boards, Jimland has really grabbed my attention so much so that I'm going to using the basic idea for The Heart Stone of Africa :-)

    Like Vagabond I can also so hear like the beating of drums Jimland Jimland Jimland :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, I'mn ot entirely happy with the boards as they are, but they're good enough for me atm.
      I am looking forward to your African adventure, given the tempting morsels we've already had and I'm not surprised you've taken to Jimland.

      Delete
  7. Good efforts Joe on all fronts. The boards look immense and the repair work has certainly done the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG. I'm very pleased that the rapir seems to be holding and the painting still progresses too,

      Delete
  8. "fairly boring I know - sorry!"
    WHAT?! Stuff and nonsense Joe, this is another cracking post :-)
    Brilliant progress with the boards, and good to hear Descent 2 is an improvement (but I still like some of the original mini's). The rules tweaks sound like they'll add a fair bit to the Jimland games, and "removing the cavalry to a dark place" sounds right up my street ;-)
    You certainly HAVE been busy and seem to be on a roll at the moment - long may it continue :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA for the encouragement, I tag a lot of things as boring, but they're mostly only boring to me (I hope) and it's really done with tongue firmly planted in cheek!
      The rule tweaks and such are just another way I keep my mind active and interested in any project.
      The lighter evenings do help me keep up my enthusiasm too.

      Delete
  9. I didn't find it boring, Joe. Quite interesting viewing the boards pictures, one after the other, and seeing the progression of work. And I'm definitely interested in reading about what you've done expanding the options for Jimland and the additional rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, with each future adventure in Jimland I'm hoping to introduce at least one new element. The Next adventure will see me tracking rounds fired to see if having an ammo limit is worthwhile.

      Delete
  10. I say another rather splendid board. The texture works really well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I did realise when I first set out to do these that a plaint board covered in paint wouldn't look right.

      Delete