Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 20 November 2017

Bugs and Bearers

Colouring from a Poison Dart frog
For once the tile doesn't refer to any bugs I may still have, but rather to the bugs and other beasties I've been working on for the last week or so.
I've had a pretty busy week by my standards, slowly building up from an hour's hobby related things to several hours over the week-end (something I rarely do!).
In addition to the five finished bugs, snakes and the frog (shown right) I've started other animals too.  The frog model is probably twice the size of its real-life counterpart!
Obligatory boring picture
As I said I started the week very slowly, cutting up plastic cards (the credit sized ones), kindly donated by friends and family. Gunge was added after the creatures were glued in place and undercoated with a cheap grey spray primer. I did notice that in my Halloween pack of bugs there were two distinct species of snake present, one obviously a hooded cobra and the other goodness knows - but it was different!
Another frog view
The only creepy-crawlie things I didn't get finished were a couple of spiders, due to time restricitions.
I also have found that I need the few daylight hours we currently have for painting and once t gets near twilight, I have to resign myself to either gunging, cutting, gluing etc.
Whilst stuff was drying I was also painting a little on the explorer figures, still on my paint-tray, but I;m getting there.
Here's some more pics (that's what most folk want - right ?)


The lesser-known blurry red Mexican Scorpion
Which loses its blurriness when scuttling away
Giant red ant, that turned out more brown than expected.
Also known for being blurry when running away.
One of the two finished snaked -  painted as a Gaboon Viper
Nile Cobra
Nile Cobra rear (safe view)
Four more bearers
I almost finished these four bearers, but ran out of daylight hours, there's not much left to do on them, just some detailing.
I thought I'd post them to just show I was still doing some figure painting.
Rear view to prove I don't just paint the front of figures.
Here's a photographs to show the comparable sizes of all this week's offerings:
The snakes are not far off from being a realistic scale for the figures
 And a photograph of the original critters and their painted counterparts:
I have about five of each of the above - not bad for £2 imo
Finally here's a photo of my paint-tray, showing it to be slowly emptying.
Yup it's a boring mess!
This week then has been one in which I've been getting progressively better and working on hobby-related things as and when I can - only interrupted by a single hospital visit! My  enthusiasm for this project is still unbounded as I work on getting more animals together; currently a Hippo, a Croc, a bear (yeah, I know) and another lion. I'm hoping to make Battleground this week-end and maybe pick up yet more animals.

That's it then, sorry for the poor quality photographs, but my photographer has been ill and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

20 comments:

  1. Nice variety of Critters and considering what they started as have turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, couldn't go wrong really, considering the price!

      Delete
  2. Great posting Joe with lots to see and admire. I'm particularly impressed with how this latest project is really coming together with all sorts of weird and wonderful critters. Keep 'em coming :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, I have been going through the animal cards, trying to get a representatio of them all(though I'm still undecided about dinosaurs!)

      Delete
  3. Nice work especially the scorpion , and from such unpromising beginnings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, you're right about the start point beinga bit uninspirational, but I'm very pleased with how even my quick efforts have turned out.
      The scorpion is one of my favourites, though I really do like the frog a lot too!

      Delete
  4. I(f that lot is waiting for me in "Jimland" I don't think I will go!

    The Ants are my Fave. Squirmy and intelligent. Shivers up and down the spine. And there are ants at every picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, the Ants onlylook tough. Most critters in "Jimland" are week fighters, but some do take two 'hit's befpre they're felled; their movement is generally random (2d6" and a random direction) so they're not to be too feared.

      Delete
  5. Great job Joe, love those plastic beasties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Michael, I love them too, they're so versatile (and cheap!)

      Delete
  6. NICE modeling, Zab! The jungle will now be filled with dangerous indigenous creepy crawling and jumping fauna. (When I saw the frog, I imagined it with wings! Holey Moley!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, I'm now probably going to have nightmares about flying frogs, so thanks for that.

      Delete
  7. Yes, great hordes of these little monsters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, I doubt though that there will ever be hordes on the table.

      Delete
  8. you've done a fab job Joe, from what I can make out - lol.

    I really like how you've turned the beasties around from cheap looking plastic to some top-notch scary critters. Nicely done bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, I've seen a lot of toys transformed with a bit of imagination and I think my efforts were well worth it.

      Delete
  9. Top marks Joe!
    Great finds in the first place and great paint jobs to transform them from cheap toys into gaming table assets :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA, I have to thank my daughter for the finds and I'm just so pleased to have taken her up on the 'find'.

      Delete
  10. See you tomorrow Joe. You can't miss me, we're first trade stand as you walk through the door (and don't worry, I can now operate the cash register better than I could at Shildon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just had my ride confirmed, whould be there around 11. (and thanks too btw)

      Delete