Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 17 July 2017

Jungle

Jungle with masked warriors  for scale
I have manged very little this week, mostly due to lack of enthusiasm but as always coupled to real-life issues. I've been experimenting with my jungle basing, and managing not to match the current batch up with the previous one. In addition I've been painting (and repainting some of the terrain boards and once more nothing I've done I'm happy with - such is life.
In any event her are the feeble results of my last week's endeavours:



Same stuff, different angle (obviously)
The unpainted fronds stand out dramatically imo.- that will be fixed
New stuff to the left, old to the right
So adding the new lot to the old lot I can now cover approximately four foot by two foot with jungle bases, though there are still several palms that have to have their fronds painted  and I've got at least another ten or so bases, untouched, still to do.

As mentioned I've been painting my boards with little success and may well have to start from scratch again ! A few photographs of the 'story' so far:
One end of the harbour board
Close up of the rocks
Other end of the harbour board
Experimenting with various painting techniques
In other news, I've been trying to fix a recently bought figure who has one of the longest arms I've seen and I've also seem to have contracted some sort of techy disease. (no, not a virus). I lost the interweb for several days, (which was no great loss tbh) and the card reader in my desk-top compy failed. This latter failure meant I had to read the card through my laptop, email the photographs to myself so that they could be read on the desktop and then cropped etc. before being posted!
At times I wonder whether it's worth all the effort.

So that's it then for yet another week, as always your comments are both welcomed and truly appreciated.



30 comments:

  1. The jungle is truly impressive Joe, excellent work. The board will get there, I've taken to mixing emulsion up into big jars before I start working for consistency and that seems to work well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, I have given up all hope on the boards yet, but they will be getting some more attention soon.

      Delete
  2. Board full of jungle looks fab as does the harbour. Is that a sea mat? It looks quite realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, harbour needs a lot of thought before further work is done on it.
      The 'sea' is merely a cheap plastic table cloth (themed and from ebay). It measure about 3metres by one and half metres)

      Delete
  3. Bloody hell mate, I wouldn't like to get lost in that jungle! Very smart modelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irqan, I've taken a lot of inspiration from many others' efforts too, as "Congo" seems to be in vogue atm.
      There is someone lost in the jungle though - no-one yet has spotted the Pirate!

      Delete
  4. Excellent scenery! Want to play :)
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe I think you are being waaaaay to hard on yourself, these look great! I have just finished mine, but will wait to after our game as I don't want to spoil the surprise for the guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, the jungle may look great in the photo's, but I'm a less happy with them, with the close-up view I get.

      Delete
  6. Been fiddling on with my own latest board this afternoon. Its one I want to use with jungle bases like you've created, so I'll be closely looking at what you've got and see if I can produce something similar.

    I really like those rocks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I'll no doubt be stealing your ideas too.
      The rocks are looking good imo and not a grey one in sight!

      Delete
    2. Haha Now you remind me about those grey rocks ... Guess what colour I painted my stream bed stones on my latest board. Bum!

      Delete
    3. Haha, and is your stream blue too ?

      Delete
    4. No, I managed to get that correct and its brown. I'm debating whether to pour model railway water effects clear resin onto the stream, or just use gloss varnish. Its a 3d contoured board with recessed stream, so I'm plumping towards the clear resin as I've not used it before and fancy the Russian Roulette of messing up the whole thing :)

      Delete
    5. Good luck with the stream, hope it turns out well (glad it's not blue)

      Delete
  7. The Jungle looks great. I wish mine looked as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, no matter how scenic bits look they're only there as markers (much like how I treat the figures)

      Delete
  8. "Rome wasn't built in a day" Joe, so why should the steaming jungles of Jimland be any different?
    I actually reckon you've done REALLY well and the project is coming along very nicely - especially if you've also been juggling with time consuming problems. Chin up mate, it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA, the encouragment is much appreciated; at one time I would be very patient with things like this, but no any more.

      Delete
  9. *To all the above commentators -
    Sorry for the delays in replying, mostly due to even more techy problems, but I think the interweb thingy is now fully up and running and I'm trying to catch up on all blog reading too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. The top view photo is A+++! Is that the heart of the jungle I hear beating in the distance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, makes the effort of getting the photos into print feel very worthwhile and it's probably the drums you can hear (when they go silent then start to worry)

      Delete
  11. Great looking jungle, what's the problem with the boards? The rocks look great, if it was me I'd dry brush a little tan over everything so that you get a bit of contrast (and not use too much paint! )but it all looks good.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the harbour board is going the way I want it too, the other boards not so much.
      The jungle seems to have met wioth approval all round so I'm quite happy with that.

      Delete
  12. Great looking jungle, impressive and very nicely done...atmospheric and superb terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. much appreciated, I never though of it as atmospheric but seeing the natives in it, maybe it is.

      Delete
  13. Jungle terrain looks terrific. You're a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BC, much appreciated and I was teacher in rl -haha, but happily I'm a long-time retired from that profession.

      Delete
  14. Hi Joe, I'm catching up on your posts after too long an absence.

    You should know that your posts are - IMO - always worth it! If they weren't, then I wouldn't want to catch up on them would I?

    Keep posting please!!

    ReplyDelete