Nevertheless I did manage to maintain some enthusiasm for this project and worked a couple of extra hours in an effort to not lag too far behind from my target of "an hour a day" on my wargaming projects. I've also managed to fall behind on perusing and commenting on other blogs and will have to make an effort to "keep up".
The first order of business was to undercoat the building, pretty easy using a cheap grey spray (Paoundlandbargainworld special)., or so I thought. After the initial coating the model needed a second coat as I'd forgotten how much MDF likes to soak up paint.
|Two hours of work, framing out six door pieces.|
As the large doors required a little more effort, due to their diagonal cuts, so I worked on these first. The windows were the next to consider. I really wanted to have some perspex in them to represent glass and had to decide which wall these would be placed on - inside or outside facing ?
|View of the inside with invisible perspex in place|
|Paper strips added to corners|
I was a bit unhappy with the very obvious corner 'joins' that I find the most obvious clue to a model being MDF and their least attractive feature in my view.
So, like the stairs, I hid these behind a folded strip of paper and luckily where the stairs met the building there was enough of a gap to slide the paper in.
|Base coat with camera flash being used|
As time was really against me I finished off this week's work with a quick splash of colour on the outside that would be the base colour . Unfortunately the photographs don't really show the true base colour as it's coffee coloured, but this won't matter much when the lighter sandy tones are added.
The current true colour of the model is probably somewhere between the two.
|Without the camera flash|
You can just about see that there is a band of colour round the inside top of the building as this is the parapet above the roof and is outside. The inside walls of the building have all be left with just their undercoat for the moment.
This week's plan is to finish off the framing, inside and out, now that the perspex is in place and, time permitting, getting some paint on the stairs and ventilation stack (which I'm now unhappy with btw).
All of which will leave the middle floor and roof to consider, both of which have their own 'quirks' to circumvent.
The only enjoyment I get from this sort of task is when they're finished and the implied promise that I may get to play with them.
That's it then for another week with the hope that it does generate some interest and that there will be some more progress next week.