Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 27 November 2023

Battleground Show, 2023, Stockton

The hussle and bustle of the bring and buy 10.15am(like this all day)
So, over the last two months I haven't been well enough to do much. if anything computer, hobbywise or otherwise. Arthritus has had me resting my hands as typing was far too painful, as was holding a paintbrush, drawing a line or cutting anything (I've tried all). Making a cup of tea was a hurdle that  had to pass and have doen so very successfully. As I was on the mend, I was struck down once more with the illness I had twelve years ago, covering my wholebody with blisters and sores making it painful to stand up or sit down, eat or drink, without vast amouns of painkillers and a substantial increase in medication to combat the problem. 
View from the balcony an hour later

So now to my current situation; I'm over the worst, so much so that I managed to get to a show ! (With the aid of my #1 son as driver and #1 grandson accompanying.
Great show, biggest in our neck of the woods and as the photographs show, it was busy from the time it opened until three hours later when we left.
I saw friends, I haven't seen in years and in at least one case, decades.
 
On to the photographs, all with the usual bligatory blurry ones:
 
 
One of the smaller ships from Durham Wargsames Groups' galleon game
Redcar Ironbeards, Schleswig-Holstein War 1848-49 in 10mm
Gear on Display from the Heugh Battery Museum Harlepool
Stafford and District' battle of Nachod 1866 (15mm iirc)
Nachod overview
Middlesborough Wargames' Clashh in the Cavern...
...and a siege outside the cavern. (28mm Fantasy)
The defenders... elves... fae... redcaps...dunno
'After Casablanca' awaiting players...
...by Lancaster Wargames society - looked very interesting.
WW 1 aerial combat by Prince Bishop Wrgames club...
...using their own rules (and very good they looked too)
Leeds Wargames Club game "Battletech"...
...which kept #1 grandson engaged all day.
Kings and Generals' 54mm Normandy game !
Wakefield and District's Cammanodo raid - small particpation game, but looked great !
Cozzmic cakes, Cake Wars... don't ask, I didn't !
Unknown... I lost the reference for this game
Big on Strategy's Turkey shoot 54mm AWI skirmish in the black forest floors of North America
DBN game of Eylau, looked great...
...beautiful figures and a long time since I've seen DBN
"Wargames in the Dungeon" attack in Whitstable Harbour fun participation game
Firelock Games' Oak and Iron
Rules and beautiful models
Hartlepool Wargames Society's "Blood Red Skies"
Display of Para equipment
Doug's Wargaming blog "2 Para at Goose Green"

On of the best games imho at the show, 14, figures, limited terrain; a night action in the Falklands, with seven paras versus an Argentiniian lmg team and wireless position, just fur guys, but well dug in.

For this recreation, the names of all the paras is known their positions and actions too -great reasearch and many photos .

Photo of the real terrain in daylight (obviously)


North Riding's large number of paper/card armies

Looks great from the front or rear, but disappear side on, like the excellent German flats of yesteryear.
Great looking Border Reiver game using 'Pikeman's Lament' rules.

Uk Fight Club (?) game "Take that Street"

It looked interesting, but the garish colours put me off and sunglasses weren't provided.

Grimsby Wargames Society's battle of Haricourt (WW1)

The German defenders of the attack above

The table was massive !

...and full of details wherever you looked.

Gorgeous units from Tantobie Warfare and Tactical Society's game "Miniawala 1846"

Westerhopes Battle of Naseby in 28mm

I love these guys' games - always something different

Mr Wiley's game "something to do with dice" - always enjoyable to see 

And that's the show games, traders were busy all day, here's my miserable haul:

For Nostalgia's sake, B troops still ain't coming back

Proper kit for my gladiators to drop

Three trucks I don't ned, but I made the lad selling them at the B&B happy.
No evidence remains of the pies, teas, pop, sandwiches remains, but I did get Brownie poiints from SWiMBO for the box of 6 cupcakes I returned home with. ! 
Apologies for all theos displays I've omitted, apologies for thiose games I've missed or got names wrong, but I'm old and decrepid so leave me alone, bloody youngsters....

As of February next year, twelve years since I started blogging and in similar cirucmstances to when i started blogging (recovering from a major illness), I'll be all  but giving up blogging. i's all a bit too much for me as I type here with sore fingers and struggling to see what i'm typing. 
So apart from the usual glib posts (HNY etc) I'll be signing off except for maybe a few infrequent posts of shows etc.

Thanks for taking the time to visit, my three and a halfhours of getting this together, I hope, was worth it.

Cheers all, Joe (Zabadak !)

22 comments:

  1. Wide range of games going on in Stockton - thanks for sharing Joe
    Hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of thebest shows ve been to in the NE and in its tenth year it hasn't disappointed. Felling better on a daily basis
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear your health has been so bad Joe, hope you feel better soon, and have a full recovery, as changing the medication routine, can cause so many more problems. Looks like you had a great time at the show, and lots of great games on show as well. You have been missed around the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, still unable to sign into google, show was great and a very welcpme relief from my returning illness.
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your visit with us Joe, it is very much appreciated. I hope you are feeling better.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Willz, seeing comments on here fro the likes of yourself helps tremendously - shows I'm still appreciated.
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
  4. Great post Joe, I do hope your health improves, and please do keep posting, even if its sporadic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I may not be giving up posting, but it willbe infrequent at best. This show is easily the equal of many 'bigger and better' southern ones imho.
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
  5. Hope your day out help you feel a bit better Joe, & thanks for all the posts over the last 12 years. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Frank, how's it going ? Long time hearing from you, miss your entertaiing thoughts, ideas and inovattive approach to our crazy hobby.
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
    2. All is well thanks Joe, indeed to long & yes a crazy hobby is about right, take care mate.

      Delete
  6. Hreat to see news from Yoh sir!
    Hope your healt is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, good show, good hobby and getting better by the day.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good show, hope you're feeling better soon, hope you stick it out in the blogoshere as it isn't the same without you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, still under treatments but I am getting better (I think).
      Blogging has become far more difficult for me and though I won't be giving it up entirely any blogs I do post will be very infrequent - I've got so little to blog about !
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
  8. Sorry to read about your health issues Joe. Hope it keeps improving for you. I'll keep looking to see if you do make the odd post on here, in the future.

    Hope you don't mind, I shared this blog post with Leon Pengilley, so he can add it to the Battleground show thread on the Pendraken Miniatures Forum. He's collecting blog addresses, where people have blogged about going to this year's show. Here's a link for you to check:

    https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,22773.0.html?PHPSESSID=tl8gtksltbj6qarnaj8h17qgui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can all but promise that there will be future posts, but post will be infrequent.
      My illness was one of the reasons I took up blogging in the first place !
      I don't mind anyone sharing my blog content as long as they're not trying to pass it off as their own.
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
    2. Roy Williamson:
      If I'm not mistaken, this blog post (couple of the photo's) might be of interest to you, Joe.

      https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2023/12/battleground-wargames-show-stockton.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks Roy, I appeaer in one of the photos too !

      Delete
  9. Very nice report. I sincerely hope that your health will improve my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, I am getting better slowly and have appointments soon for other treatments.
      Joe/Zabadak

      Delete
  10. I had the pleasure of working closely with Mr Pedro for several years as business partners. During the time that Pedro and his loan company team served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above our goal and this can only be attributable to Mr Pedro's hard work. I appreciate your hard work and also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan of any kind, contact Mr Pedro on....cf-loans@outlook.com
    Whatsapp +393510140339 Mr Pedro is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.
    Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond work and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.

    ReplyDelete