Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 6 March 2023

Bannerlord

 Well, February came and went, I'm another year older and I attended four hospital and clinic appointments rather than the three I had anticipated, but all went well.
So I hear you ask, what have I been doing with the rest of my time since my last post ?
Well, I've been almost continually playing 'wargames' on my game console, namely "Bannerlord" or to give it its proper name "Mount and Blade II, Bannerlord", a fantasy medieval-type fictional world.
As I have a games console, rather than a PC, I've had to wait two years for it to appear, but it was, imho, well worth the wait, 
Like any cross-over from PC to any games console there are still minor bugs to be sorted, all of which have taken hours of downloading 'patches',    
So what exactly is "Bannerlord" ?
Here's a look at the world and bit of what goes on in it.
The huge world map on which your character will interact
A zoomed-in image on the map above, beautiful terrain imo,...
...and zoomed in even more. The single horsemen are 'armies', the chap across the river has 263 men
The action leaves the main map to fight on a large version of the terrain your force is in
Infantry, cavalry and your character fight as individuals, man to man (and it's brutal)
It's not all open field battles either...
..and all the towns and castles aren't all made from wood.
It's not all fighting and sieges, you can take a stroll around the streets too...
...or maybe take your chances in the arena.
There is so mych more to the game than just fighting, there are bandits camps to attack, looters to ride down and a whole economy you can interact with and of course any castleor towns you own , have to be run too. The whole world is alive with activity and there are a lot of villages that feature on the map along with all the activty of the villagers, the trader caravans etc - it just goes on,
 
Battles take on average about about 3 to 5 minutes, but are generally very bloody and over fairly quick, so much so that you can fight many of them in single hour long session. (or you can just sned your troops in without your character and watch the casualty count come in, in table form.
 
And this is what has been occupying my time over the last month or so (and probably much of the next month too). 

That's it then for this week, thanks for taking the time to visit  and of course your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday Joe, good you've found another way of getting your gaming fix, and being a console game you can pick it up whenever you want, and doesn't take ages to put everything away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,Dave, it used to be "Total War" in its many variants for my gaming 'fix' but I haven't had a PC for over ten years. All the pros you mention are correct amd each battle is a different experience.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you soldiering through your health appointments, Joe, and many happy birthday returns. I think I've played an earlier incarnation of that game on PC - Do u get to be an individual soldier in the battle..? Definitely sounds good though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blaxx, most appointments are routine and boring. The game is the second version of M&B warlord (which I was playing until last year), a bit more involved and better looking. And yes, you are an individual 'hero' (ahem) in battles, if you wish to join them.
      [on a different note I still can't post on your blogs as I need to be a "Member" ?]

      Delete
  3. Hello Joe,

    I can give you a run for your money in regard the NHS during February: two hospital visits (one a minor surgical procedure under local anaesthetic) and eight clinic appointments (for wound dressing, etc.). Still it was the first time I'd been to a doctors, or the like, since just before the first ever Lockdown in 2020, so I can't complain.

    Other than that, I've mainly been watching, either, the English Women's Super League or the Lionesses in the Arnold Clark Cup.

    Take car.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnkfully I have only a phone appointment this month and the only planned appointent is in June or July.
      I watch a lot of TV (probably too much) and football especially in all its forms to fill in myt time.

      Delete
  4. Sounds and looks like a good way of keeping gaming without an opponent, I've avoided those types of game, mainly because I know I'm too obsessive and would just spend all my time on them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Iain, yes its easy to get hooked on these, but luckily I have other game diversions too, including a couple of board games that can be played solo too.There's also the telly !

      Delete