Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 10 May 2021

Arched Building Progress

 It's been a busy week at Casa de Zabadak, even with the disappointment of Tuesday !
Tuesday saw me sorting out a set of eight mounted and dismounted figures, matching the riders to their dismounted versions (that turned out not to be too difficult). When it came to undercoating them, my spray can of primer ran out, leaving me with half-undercoated figures.
I'm hoping to rectify the situation this week.
Sixteen figures, sorted
Matched up mounted and dismounted versions of the same figure
The half-undercoated figures !
Being unable to start the paint jobs on the Mexican Banditos, I turnend my attention to working on the "arched Building", namely the pillars, doorframes and doors.
Here's the photographic record of my progress:
The basic materials, matchsticks and coffee stirrers
Matchsticks glued into pairs - I ended up using about four hundred matchsticks !
Door Frames being added internally...
...and externally, with anti-warping devices in place.

Roof added and work on doors started too.
Columns started with card bases for 'bulk'...
...then trimmed down.
Adding matchstick detailing...
...and yet more matchsticks
...that required trimming down and a little filing too

All the gaps and mistakes will be covered with wall-filler...
...eventually.
At a conservative estimate I've spent about 12 hours over the last week on this build and I still have the stones over the arches to complete, a tile surround on the roof parapet and two sloping tiled  roofs over the backdoors, so still a lot to do !
Once the above is complete the lengthy task of covering the whole thing in filler will still have to be done (and I may also re-cut the roof as it's not a great fit) and of course, it has to be painted - something I'm not looking forward to.
That's it then for this week, nothing finished (nothing new - Ed.), but I feel I've certainly made great in-roads into the completion of this model.

Thanks for taking the time to visit, hopefully boring wip pics were of some interest and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful work on the building Joe, all your attention to detail is really paying off, I think this is turning out to be your best building yet.
    Shame about the can of spray running out half way through, but easily rectified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave,I agree that it's ne of my better scratch-builds and it has encouraged me todo the next three smaller ones (all in one block)
      The undercoat problem will be resolved shortly I hope, but it has given me a break from painting, so it's not all bad.

      Delete
  2. That building is coming along nicely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, the ong weekend session really broke the back of the teask.

      Delete
  3. Stellar stuff, Joe. That's some serious energy and time you've put into the build so far, but its definitely been worth your while. It looks awesome, imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, I did think of putting a 28mm figure in a photograph, for scale, but it would be hard to spot !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks you michal, it's been slow and tedious but I'm getting there.

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking build! Unfortunate with the spray can but I guess we've all been there,frustrating though it is!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, it;s not like I can just walk to the shop (Wilkos) to get another can or two either, so it's quite a hassle getting a lift etc., but it'll be resolved soon, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. That building is really beginning to take shape & will make a great centrepiece on the games table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, for the set-up I'm envisaging there are several buildings that woul dalso be worthy of being a centre-piece !

      Delete
  7. Absolutely brilliant Joe! That is incredibly impressive for a scratch build!! Your arches and details look amazing 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, I may well get this finished off this week, at least the building part, but the painting of it is another matter.

      Delete