Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 23 March 2020

More Explorers

These six explorers were finished well before last week's post, but as I had it in mind to publish an adventure, here they are now !
Four of the figures are from "Copplestone" (Amazon Adventurers - or something similar) and the remaining two are from "Ironclad".
Rear view for those that like this sort of thing (we know who you are)

The chap on the left in the photograph above looks like he would be more at home in a western setting rather than a jungle one and is the most didsppointing of all of them, (not just because of my rubbish painting either) - maybe he's a bit on the big side too.

These two are the Ironclad castings iirc



Two "speccies" - I love these two !
A left-handed gunfighter  ?

Poundland Spray (£1 - obviously)

I took advantage of the sunshine and lack of wind this last week to experiment with my newly bought spray-tin of varnish. After an initial successful trial with some surplus Brits, now not destined for the Sudan, the six explorers were also used as guinea pigs.
You can judge the results for yourself -  the sprayed figures are not completely matt finished, but they have a rather satin (or vinyl if you prefer) finish - which suits me fine too.

In cas you don't recognise this product, the spraycame from "Poundland", as I'd thought it was worth trying - for £1 !!!!
If I'm ever allowed out again I'll be purchasng more .

With more daylight hours and no afternoon tasks to disprupt my day my painting output has incresed to at least two one-hour sessions each day.

If I keep painting at this rate, I could have all my unpainted minis finished by 2030  (just about), but I'll settle for finishing off my British Infantry for the Sudan


The new restrictions on my movements won't have a great effect on my hobby but it was sad to have to tell my mate "K" that our Saturday Jimland session was cancelled until futrther notice !
Yep, I'm in the bracket of the vulnerable, hitting about three or four of the criteria and will therefore be in self-isolation for a minimum of twelve weeks - so nothing much changed in my lifestyle tbh.

It seems we'll all have a bit of extra time on our hands, I'll be doing a few solo adventures in Jimland, painting what few Sudan figures I have left and returning to modelling "Gordon's Palace", all of which I'd have been doing anyway!

Take care everyone, keep washing your hands, keep your distance and stay safe.

That's it then for this week, next week I'll be posting "K's" third adventure into Jimland, to give me a little more time in which to finish off my Brits (just the 65 of them).

Of course, as always, your commetns are welcomed and appreciated - more than ever in this time of need for social interaction.









20 comments:

  1. I hope you stay well and safe too, Joe. I like the paint-jobs on all the minis, but as you say, that one chap is a bit big isn't he? I know a lot of gamers won't mind such size differences, after all, real people are, but it would slightly trigger my OCD too I feel. Keep up the postings and paintings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, I'm as well as ever I have been recently!
      The big chap isn;t that out of place with some of the more 'heroic' sized figures about (e.g. foundry), my biggest gripe is that he doesn't look very 'explorer-like' and yes I'd rather he was seen just with other larger minis too!
      Other than painting slightly more often my habits won;t change a lot, so post frequency shouldn't be affected - I'll still have the same old problem of what to post about!

      Delete
  2. A nice set of models Joe & I think your been a bit hard on the big lad, as people don't be the same high in life I don't mind difference heights in models, so just think of him as been about 6ft 8inch :)

    The varnish looks fine to me & I'm sorry to hear your gaming with K is on hold but you've lots to be doing so the time of been locked away won't feel to long in passing, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks frank, I too don't mind larger figures that much- Bob Murch of Pulp figures purposely makes them so too but I'm wary of having oversized weapons, after all an M16 is the same size irrespective of your height.
      I was surprise how good the varnish is and I'm now wishing I hadn;t bought the £10 tin at the last show I was at, but it'll all be used when I spray all my Sudan stuff.
      When this Covid thing all blows over, I'm pretty sure 'K' will return to Jimland now that he's been well and truly bitten by the bug (so to speak).

      Delete
  3. Nice bunch of explorers! I've no problems with the big fella, he's close enough and close enough is good enough as far as I am concerned!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I lean towrds that view too, it's just that he's not very "Explorer-like" and who takes that uch notice of the figures if you're enjoying the game ?
      I've also seen some games where Commander are purposely of a larger scale to make them stand out!

      Delete
  4. I do like the Copplestone figures and have been meaning to buy some for ages.
    You could always get K to make moves by email / phone call or whatever - just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, I like Copplestone a lot, they're well proportioned and 'tidy' scul plus easy (for me)to paint.
      There is on-going conversations on line about the possibility of playing games on;ine. I see little future in it tgh as my techy skills are minimal and the reward, though great has to be wighed against the effort. In "Jimland" the interaction is only reallyin the fights and these are normallyfew and far between.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks you Michal, much appreciated - please stay safe !

      Delete
  6. Great set of adventurer's Joe, lot's of character in the bunch.
    For a lot of us this lockdown seems like a normal Tuesday ! But being in the high risk group you need yo be extra vigilant, put myself into ignore the world outside a couple of weeks ago, just to be sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I too self-isolated ten days ago, before it became trendy.
      I'm pretty sure that I can keep myself busy doing different things over a day, I've been doing it for a long time now.

      Delete
  7. More explorers for Jimland has to be a good thing, and the promise of a new adventure, grrrreat as Tony the Tiger used to say.

    Take care, it's a dangerous world out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, I'm planning on getting another Adventure into Jimland very soon, though it will be played solo.

      I'm stayinh safe and I hope all my readers/followers and fellow bloggers are doing likewise.

      Delete
  8. Hello Joe. Just got myself a box of plastic Perry Zulus so I can mount an expedition into Jimland, myself. Thinking of adding some Mammalian Mayhem gaming into the mix, using the same Jimland Adventure figures, for something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roy, so happy to hear from you.
      Good to hear also that you're back painting and for Jimland too ! Yep, anything goes in Jimland, I cautiously eyeing my prehistoric stuff too; but Dions et al are all accomodated for.
      There's no reason not to have Pirates adventuring in Jimland eithe ( as per catpain Singleton;s advevtur across Africa)

      Delete
  9. nice additions to the collection. I keep meaning to pick up those Explorers from copplestone such great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, I think these were last on my list of 'wants' from Coppleston eve though I've been on the lookout for them at shows.
      I have quite a lot of explorers now, but don;t think I have a single Foundry one !

      Delete
  10. Excellent additions to the collection Joe, I'm sure the "big guy" won't stand out from the crowd so much when he's 'in game' (as opposed to the line up), and I'm looking forward to the next Jimland write up - I might not have commented much lately, but I HAVE been following along :-)
    Have you seen that Sarissa have produced an mdf Japanese castle? Don't tell anyone, but I think yours is much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TWA, the mystery og the 'big guy's' biggness (that's a word right?) will all be explained in my next post !
      I do realise that all of us have real lives that get in the way of everything hobby-related and whilst I miss comments etc. it's much better that we look after just living too!
      It's about time Sarissa made a Japanes castle - I bet it'll cost a fortune!

      Stay safe.

      Delete