Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 20 January 2020

WIPs

OK, so not a very exciting title but having failed, once more, to complete anything this last week, despite my best efforts (I blame real life, various illnesses, Isis, Brexit and ageing) . I did stick to my regime of at least one hour's painting each day and even managed two or more on some days,
but horses, bloody horses are a pain and other than camels are the bane of my painting efforts.
So over the Xmas period, I had to 'put away' - (read get out of sight) all the pieces that were on my various paint trays.
I've now remedied this and got all the various models out once more in an effort to complete them over the coming weeks, so for this post, here are my current WIOs' progress.
The Egyptian infantry - all 90 of them (shown above) require their bases to be completed, some shading.
British foot
My British infantry have the least done on them, bases, straps and rifle, shading  all still to be done.

Nearly two dozen effing horse, nearly finished
 The Egyptian Cavalry - horse- just need their tack finished and then the riders finished and mounted on them !
Mahdist effing Camels, still not finished after 20 years ! (but close)
The camels are currently mounted on magnetic paper on credit-card type bases  as an experiment in moving the single figures around more quickly.
Single figure removed from base, showing magnetic paper on both base and figure.
The camels are more of a pain than even horses, despite being great figures. 

So in a week where I made progress, I was still thwarted at the final hurdle !
Next week I'll be holidaying in the wilds of Cumbria, but I have still a "Jimland" adventure in reserve to write-up which I've been keeping up my sleeve for just this type of occasion.

Thanks for taking the time to visit and though there's not much here, maybe there is something you found interesting  ?

That;s it then for this week and as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

18 comments:

  1. Those camels are nice figures Joe. I know what you mean about painting f'ing horses, in fact painting generally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, I can't understand how somefolk can enjoy painting figures (it's probably because I'm so poor at it that I dislike it so much).

      Delete
    2. That's exactly why I don't enjoy painting; the frustration of not being able to do it well.

      Delete
    3. Haha, if it were not for peer pressure, I think I'd revert to block painting !

      Delete
  2. Great work Joe, very good you've managed your allotted hour each day, and you can see a definite progression

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, the hour a day is like some form of self harm- it drives me buts, but has to be done if I;'m ever going to finish anything !

      Delete
  3. Progress is progress and it's clear you've been busy, we can't all complete a unit every week, well I know I can't!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the feeling of having to produce something, I think, is from the self-imposed pressure of having to post about something each week (it's probably not a bad thing really).

      Delete
  4. Wow Joe, that's a wonderful array of metal goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael and one day it will all be finished off then stored away !

      Delete
  5. That's really great! Waiting for more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Michal, if only they were finished and I could show you photos of them in action

      Delete
  6. Joe I really do admire your discipline as I couldn't take on that many models at one time, & while the aim is always for the finish line you've made good progress even if you didn't reach it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, having a lot of figures on the go at once is the only way I've ever painted up forces for any of my projects over the years.Uniform troops are always easier than irregulars, civilians etc. imo - they take a little longer, but not much. The greatest pleasure is as you say getting to the finish line and what better way than to have finished a hundred or so minis rather than one, two or a dozen or so ?

      Delete
  7. Got that production line going well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankls Brummie, for games with lots of figures I've always believed it's the only way to go.
      I do wish though that, as you say, it didn't feel like work.

      Delete
  8. Blimey - thats an awful lot of figures to have looking back at you from the painting table.
    Best of luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, but it's probably not the most figures I've ever had on the go at once (300 plus 7YW Ryssians for a friend is probably the record) and they will all be finished eventually !

      Delete