Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 14 October 2019

Gordon's Khartoum Pad

In a week which saw my Interweb intermittent for more than four days and the usual aches and pains, I've managed to get a fair bit of hobby time in. I've finished the major modelling on the Building I started nearly a month ago having finally decided what its internal layout would be,  and yes, I used to be fairly indecisive but I'm not so sure now).
The photograph on the right and those following show the mostly complete model.
Rear view (figures for scale are Redoubt -bottom doorway and OG-roof)
Roof View (Ed.: Padding imo)
Entrance, showing the 'infamous' stairs
Entrance hall showing a bit more detail
Awkward view of stairs
Top-down view of ground floor
Upper floor 'top-down' view
Upper floor in place - notice door frames (internal only)

The 'other' side of the upper floor - Gordon's quarter maybe ?
This building has a footprint of about 16" x 8" (40cm x 20cm) and an overall height of about 6.5" (about 16.5cm) - so it may not be the biggest model I've ever made, but it is BIG !
 In addition to finishing the majority of the construction of this build, I manged to knock together a shell of another adobe  dwelling from the bits left over from the 4 sheets of A2 foamboard.  (that's the equivalent of 16 sheets of  A4 !). Here's the photographs :
Front (or back)
Back (or Front)
Obligatory boring photograph, but it does show how rough this build is
Bonus additional boring pic
This latter model had to have some immediate remedial work done to it in the form of emergency filler to fill the huge gaps and to keep it together (it'll be all right on the night - as they say).
The normal bits of stirrers for window lintels have been added to all the buildings made so far  but the lintels for Chez Gordon had a minor bit of detailing added:
Lintels for Gorden's windows - Internal doorway frames were done similarly
I've also made inroads to mass-producing doors for the various buildings and it wouldn't be one of my builds without numerous coffee stirrers,.
Mass production of doors, one or two will be arched, hence the 'stencil'
Weight added to flatten all those stirrers - unused wall to spread the weight
I'm very happy with this last week's progress, managed even despite real-life considerations constantly trying to hamper all my efforts.
I also proffer my apologies for what I consider to ave been a very rushed post this week - an unexpected,  last minute hospital appointment (today) meant I was very rushed to photograph, edit and produce this post (and of course the cameraman was as rubbish as ever).

That's it then for yet another week, thanks for taking the time to visit  and hopefully finding something of interest. As always, your comments are both welcomed and truly appreciated.

28 comments:

  1. Excellent scratch-building, Zab! The interior columns are outstanding.
    And the staircase almost brings tears to my eyes when I think of the close contact fighting which eagerly and potentially awaits the nimble toss of the dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, it's amazing what oyou can do with a piece of handy dowel one happens to have.
      The final scene of the film "Khartoum" all takes place in that entrance hall and would be great to recreate.

      Delete
  2. Stunning buildings, the two tiered entrance way is gorgeous, can't wait to see all the extra details when finished ( not that I'm trying to rush you ! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, between the colums on the upper levelrequires a balustrade, which with the addition of doors will finish the building part of the model. Next will be the addition of some sparce internal furnishings after painting !

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks MJT, much appreciated; it's taken far longer than I thought it would, but it's been worthwhile imo.

      Delete
  4. That looks super impressive Joe. The shot of the stairs made me shudder, knowing what would later occur! Brilliant job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I had the same feeling when I saw the "Perry" vignette of the same scene.

      Delete
  5. Just blown away by your work Joe! Amazing 😀 Really love your entrance hall and those pillars, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, hopefully you'll still feel the same when it's completely finished. I wish I could take credit for the treat entrance, but blame the set designers in the film.

      Delete
  6. That's not bad but when are you going to get round to the rooves on the bog standard houses :)

    I'm waiting to see your super secret construction technique, so I can borrow it.

    Seriously though this will look pretty spectacular on the table, so as well as the roof construction technique I'm interested to see how you paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond, roofs to be assembled this week weather, family and health permitting. I've also found my green stuff (actually a blue and yellow strip) amd back-up FIMO - essential for my "roof removal" idea.
      Painting will have to be be pretty straight-forward as I'm not that good (and getting worse at colours), so it;ll be dark brown in all the bits tht need it a general wash of borwn again over textured (gunged) areas, then Magnolia (or a similar "not quite white") before a higjlight of a 'soft' white. Maybe a bt of faded colour here and there too - but nothing remarkable.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about colours, I've just done a couple of covered waggons and the canvas still doesn't look right for colour although I'm happy with the look of the material this time unlike the tent.

      Delete
    3. I've had problems painting most things in the past, mostly with the consistency of colours from Manufacturers, now though I'm having increasing problems due to eye problems. Alongside my slightly increasing colour blindness (minimal red/green and white/yeollow) I now have another (incurable) eye problem of colour fading!
      I liked the tent, thoughit would have looked great as a patchwork quilt too.

      Delete
    4. I liked the tent, thoughit would have looked great as a patchwork quilt too.

      :)

      Delete
    5. Try typing into Google images "Patchwork Tent".
      I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  7. Wow you certainly knocked that one out of the ball park Joe, great bit of work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, I just hope t gets to see some action on the tabletop

      Delete
  8. That is one very nice model of yours you got there Joe!I simply love it and the details really comes to its right.Good work and a lot of inspiration to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, if it's inspired just one other person to try their hand at scratch-building then I'd say it's a job well done/

      Delete
  9. Very very fancy Joe, who wouldn't wanna live in a pad like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Ray it would have to be furnished for mhy tastes though.

      Delete
  10. Gosh that's a big old model, super details, really like the iconic staircase and columns! The lower spec build is good too and will smarten up with a coat of render, well smarten up as much as Adobe does!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, on both counts. I've always made my buidlings far too big, but I've nearly always played on large tables too. I've relly tried to make the other buildings on the small side and as you say render hides all errors.
      The 'Palace' is a long way ffrom being finished and will definetly need a long think about the internal colours, probs etc.

      Delete
  11. Looks good Joe. I like the interior with the pillars it adds a lot of atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, the entrance way is quite stunning in the film 'Khartoum' too, so I can;t really take any credit for the idea but I'm pleased with how Ive managed to recreate it.

      Delete