Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 12 November 2018

The 'Herd'

Heard about my herd ?
As I mentioned last week. I  put in two orders, from Arcane scenery and Steve Barber, sometime Sunday afternoon. Much to my surprise, the Arcane Scenery order arrived Tuesday morning - that's less than 48 hours since I ordered them! (I'm still awaiting the order from Steve Barber). 
I was awaiting the arrival of the DeeZee 'baby' mammoth so that I could paint all the mammoths at the same time. 
DZ animals, baby mammoth, wolves woolly rhino and elephant type thing


By Wednesday the flash had been filed away the figures mounted onto their bases (more credit cards etc.) and the gunge added.
Thursday saw me finishing off the bases with pva and sand then waiting for a chance to spray their undercoat in between rain showers.
 The first coats of base colour and skin colour for the mammoths was applied Thursday.
Friday was a complete loss due to a hospital visit in the morning (turns out I'm still ill, so no surprises there) and a clinic visit for a eye check that involves drops making you blind until nightfall ! (I could probably still have painted figures and I doubt anyone would have noticed the difference but nevertheless it wasn't until Saturday and Sunday that I made a big effort to complete the herd (now six figures strong !). I  finished them in the usual TWD style (see last week's post for explanation) and a coat of  matt varnish, still drying even as the photographs were taken.
Slightly different view (obligatory boring pic)
Rear view (obviously), for fans of these type of photos
Another rear view ( - bored yet ? I know I am.)
"Exciting  action" pic, showing something or other
OK so the mammoths weren't that difficult to paint, dark brown, orangey brown and a dark brown wash, what was surprising was how long it took and how much paint these big beasts use!
Oh for those still here, the tusks aren't white as I haven't  used white on figures for a long time as I find it too harsh (Daz white!). I use magnolia, which on models I find looks more natural (I know, I'll get my coat).

So that's it then for this week, next week the Thylancines will have been  re-painted as I wasn't too happy with them first time around and I'll probably make a start on the wolves,

That's it then for another week, thanks for taking the time to visit and as always your comments are both welcomed and truly appreciated.

22 comments:

  1. A cracking bit of work Joe & a nice size herd, you had me laughing when you said you we're surprised how much paint it took to paint the mammoths, well their not the smallest thing in the world now are they ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, but it truly did take me by surprise when I realised just how big these things were!

      Delete
  2. With the Bull trumpeting and the whole group stomping, and with the ground shaking, I'm pretty sure I'd be high-tailing out of their way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does make me wonder how prehistroic man managed to kill these things!

      Delete
  3. I bet there is a lot of paint used up on them. They look good though. Very fitting for your stone age project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, they do take up a lot of paint (maybe not surprising to most folk, but it surprised me!

      Delete
  4. Great to see the Herd on the tabletop, Joe. They look excellent :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, they almost look like a herd too!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks AL, they do look the part, they are huge!

      Delete
  6. A nice week's work and a goodly sized herd, plenty of mammoth burgers for your cavemen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabind, I'm guessing the all of my cavemen would be needed to have a chance against this lot

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, a herd maybe, but a small one eh ?

      Delete
  8. I love these Joe! Great beasties. I also use off white for teeth/bones/tusks normally with a yellow base colour and working up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, I often use ye;;pw ochre (or similar) for a lot of undercoating too.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, I'm quite pleased with its overall look.

      Delete
  10. What great looking beasties Joe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, probably also available in 15mm!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm looking forward to being able to use them in a game!

      Delete