Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 21 May 2018

Cartington Goes Forth

The Explorers
Yes, this is yet another of my adventures in Jimland, played several weeks ago and took only about two to three hours playing time. I had to have an intermission halfway through playing as I realised that there were no river crossing rules in "Jimland" (probably because they played no part in the tactical games). I wished to remedy this and took a few nights thought and referred to other rules to come up with a quick and (imho) elegant solution that wouldn't slow down play.
The Soldiers
Once more the expedition was at the fully permitted strength of thirty, including twenty bearers (the maximum number allowed).
In the photograph above from left to right are Ebor (scout), Frederick (Hunter, Leader and self proclaimed hero); Dr. Albert Cleghorn (Doctor -duh!) and finally Horatio Mundella (Interpreter).

So without further ado, once more:


From the the Journal of Frederick Cartington:

The column in its entirety
"With the exceptional success  of my previous expedition, despite some losses, I was able to to gather enough resources to fully equip a new expedition"
"Doctor Albert Cleghorn, Ebor a Scout of unknown origin, Horatio Mundella acting as Interpreter, myself and six soldiers joined me in my latest escapade."
The plan with its three objectives
"The plan was to explore both unknown  branches of the river we had discovered in a previous expedition, the soldiers and myself keeping safe our valuable newcomers. In addition I would take along eight loads of trade goods to pacify any unco-operative natives and we would supplement our food supply by purchasing food at any friendly villages we encountered, thus we only set off with 12 days' worth of food, but with money aplenty to purchase more"
The column prior to spotting the ambush
"Travelling SW on a very familiar route we once more encountered some slavers, that surprised our fellows, but we saw them off with only a single soldier wounded in the process. Luckily, I guess, we had one load of bad food and ate through another to furnish the requisite unemployed bearers necessary to carry our wounded comrade (kept alive by the prompt action of our MD."
Slavers attacking the flanks of the un-surprised column
Their riflemen head for cover
Doc and Frederick head for cover...
...whilst the soldiers drop a slaver...
and the Doc and Frederick flanks the melee armed slavers
The slavers' shooting attract a water buffalo
...that immediately attack them, savaging one!
The carnage continues as Frederic bags another slaver.
Our shooting attracts a lioness and the buffalo turn its attention on us.

The lioness attacks the slavers, eager to flee, whilst the buffalo is wounded
The buffalo is dispatched but wounds a soldier
The lioness flees after a quick slaver snack
"With the demise of the beasts and what was left of the slavers we proceeded onwards towards the river along our previously forged track, losing a careless bearer, carrying a valuable load of trade goods, to one of the deadly native traps we encounter so frequently. A village is encountered and the inhabitants are more than pleased to accept our presence and two trade goods to make up for the ineptitude of our interpreter, he may speak like a native,  just not  native of Jimland it seems."
"We pick up the track of the river encountering some pygmies who are more than content to leave us alone with the help of a single load of trade goods."
The depleted column
"Eventually we found the outlet of the river to the sea, having endured bad water (causing two soldiers to fall foul of bad water), using up two more loads of trade gifts to pacify another village, excessive heat, (from which I was nearly overcome) and losing a soldier to its effects,( which the doc was unable to do anything about it). "
"Having found the mouth of the river we headed Northeast towards the unknown area that intrigued me"
 "An encounter with another  friendly village (despite our interpreter best efforts to insult them), enabled us to buy three loads of food"
Four Natives to the expedition's front and three to its flank
"With three able soldiers,  four explorers, a casualty and about 11 days of rations, I determined to carry on toward the mystery blank space in our map, of course nothing is simple as we waded into the swamp that it was and were immediately ambushed by seven spear-armed tribal warriors"
The natives immediately close, avoiding the sticky swamp mud
Those that can make for safety, or form a firing line
The bigger view
Opening fire,  Frederick and Ebor each bag a native.
The natives try to free themselves from the effects of the swamp, but...
...three out of the five remaining are stuck however.
With the loss of another Native into the swamp depths, they flee!

"With the action brief, but thankfully only deadly to the Natives we made camp in the swamp, ate a good supper and I planned for the next week"

 My plans (rather than Frederick's) was to protect the four explorers as much as the dice and event cards would allow me, to enable them to progress. Horatio, the interpreter has only a hand to hand weapon and a large save roll, whilst Ebor the Hunter  and the Doc are a little more average, with fairly good save rolls (14 and 16  respectively ) but poor  shooting (5,4) and melee skills (4,3).
Following a river gleans a lot of points (cash) and I need 100 to increase a single skill point for an explorer, so I was looking for 400+ points in this adventure!

Next week will see the conclusion of this adventure and if you've read through this far, I hope you've found something of interest (did you notice the bits of plastic scatter in the swamp ?)

That's it then until next week and as always you comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, I'm not sure a swamp is where I'd pick to spend the night but then I'm not an brave adventurer :( another great outing in Jimland & I await the next report with held breath so don't take to long ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks frank I concur, but needs must at times and it's not all water!
      The next report should be fairly brief(don't read anything into that!)

      Delete
  2. Watching and reading it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, I do wonder at times how it comes across to my readers.

      Delete
  3. Excellent adventure! Bloomin water buffalo's, Lionesses and natives attacking innocent travellers give them what for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, we do see an awful lot of wildlife (and a lot of awful wildlife!). One has to have some sympathy for the natives though, with Expeditions interupting their inter-tribal warfare!

      Delete
  4. Please pass on my congratulations to Frederick on another corking adventure (so far) - the 'trade goods strategy' seems to be working well, but the hostile environment (enhanced by the new scatter BTW) is once again taking a steady toll.
    Corking stuff Joe, and I'm looking forward to the next installment in this Jimland jaunt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WA, I'd wait until (if) theyhave a safe return to Jim's landing.
      The Scatter was mainly an 'off the cuff' solution to outlining the playing area and has subsequentlybeen replaceed.
      This adventure will conclude next week.

      Delete
  5. I say sir an absolutely riveting read. I for one am very pleased that you are checking the unexplored zones you have indicated. It seems quite remiss of previous expeditions ot to have done so. Tsk tsk!

    I look forward to reading more from the explorers journal. he seems to have put the trials of the last expedition behind him in a very English way. A good mad that, the kind I would have liked with me in Zululand all those years in the past.

    A most resolute fellow I say. Resolute indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I'm sure Fredercik is probably a bit OCD about the 'missing bits' and of course he has a fixed stiff upper lip concerning the previous expedition!
      More next week!

      Delete
  6. Damned dangerous those water buffaloes! Great story Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks oyu Michael, I find it interesting that the 'story' seems to have alife of its own.

      Delete
  7. Epic Joe, I’m really loving Jimland and in particular the enthusiasm you obviously have for it! Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, I think I'd be even more enthusiastic if I could pit my mind against another player.

      Delete
  8. An excellent read Joe. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I do wonder how my amateur prose comes across.

      Delete
  9. Please, stop the beating of those infernal jungle drums, Zab. Everywhere the explorers go, so goes the drums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's almost like some native percussion section is following them around.

      Delete
  10. And the adventure continues. Super stuff, 'old boy.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irqan, the adventure is never-ending - there's always more adventurers willing to put themselves at risk for fame and fortune in JImland.

      Delete
  11. It seems that everything is hostile: the slavers, the wildlife, the swamp, even the water! I'm amazed that anyone ever survives these missions...

    Hmm, there's good eating on a water buffalo. Probably. I wonder, is that where "buffalo wings" come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in agrrement, everything seems to be out to get you in Jinmland. There are very few, if any, friendly events that can happen.
      I'm beginning to wonder if the expedition should take advantage of fresly killed wildlife, buffalo wings, tiger bread, frog legs and probbly a lot of other too.

      Delete
  12. Another excellent adventure in Jimland, this one seems to be going quite well so far, hope that's not the death knell for them.
    The rules certainly seem to create an eventful campaign and I know you would prefer to have a live opponent but this seems to be working very well solo.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vagabond,I won't reveal whether or not you've put the kybosh on the expedition and besides it was played weeks ago!
      Having an event card avery turn in the campaign certainly does make it eventful. I have also tried a slightly different tack in my two (yes, two) adventures since this one was played. Having the natives' tactics decided by dice does hamper their efffectivess, even given I slant their dispositions slightly in their favour.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful posting, Joe, not sure how I came to miss it when it was first published, but a delightful read nonetheless. I'm getting more and more tempted by these reports of yours to have a game of "Jimland", but with super-hero twist or some such...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, lke you , I too miss a lot of posts, it's just the way life is.

      Delete