Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 27 March 2017

Palms, wip

Welcome to the Jungle.
Unfortunately I've had very little time to make much progress on my pirate project butI have managed to make some inroads into getting some insights into how my palm trees may well be  based up.
I've experimented with several ways of doing it. the major choice being do the base, add the trees and  paint or paint up the base then add trees etc, before adding them. The latter does mean repainting parts of the base though where the trees etc. are added. I'll be using both methods I'm sure as my whim takes me.
The wip, so far.
The individual bases still need a lot of work done to them because of a 'shortcut' that I thought I'd take, missing out the 'middle' colour before adding the final highlight. The effect just wasn't what I wanted and consequently I've had to go back over what I've done so far.
The photographs don't do justice to the size of these pieces (I really should have added a figure for scale - next time though I will)  as they'll more than cover an area of 2 x2 ft .

New base on the left, church one ion the right
The photograph on the right shows one of the new pieces alongside the one I'm most happy with (the one from the church).
The Church one used three colours for the base, the two trees are not in their original plastic state and the base has had some plant pot fibre lining added too.
Reverse view
One of the larger pieces - approx 8 x 6 inches
Here's some individual shots of the pieces so far, two of each showing a second view, a rotation of 180 degrees.

Boring 'reverse' view of above.
The other large piece, but a bit sparse for my taste.
Another view of the above. Bored yet ?
Definitely a work in progress - can you tell?
Yup, another one (*yawn)
"Stay awake there at the back"
I guarantee it's boring for me too
Are we nearly there yet ?
This base is nearly finished
But it's still really, really boring
So that's it then, half a dozen or so bases of nearly finished trees and stuff, in various states of completion. Over the next week I'll still be messing about with these in an attempt to get them to the state where I want them. As I have about five times as much again to do, I'll be waiting for the space in my games room to once more become available before mass production begins. in earnest. I'll also be trying to finish off the last pirate ship.

Apologies for such a long boring post but as always your comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

26 comments:

  1. I can assure you Joe I'm not bored but impressed. These look fantastic and compliments your pirate project completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, I'm hoping they'll be used for another project too.

      Delete
  2. Well I am rather impressed. Clumped on bases do look good. You have done a better job than my own Chinese plastic foliage.

    Bravo sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, the clumps do work well, but I'll also be making a few single palms on smaller bases too.

      Delete
  3. Great in-roads on the trees and vegetation Joe. They look super imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxx, there's not mych left to do on these bits but there are a lot more planned.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, much appreciated, but I hope you'll notice the difference when I think they're finished

      Delete
  5. Nothing boring about these Joe. Excellent terrain!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Ray, I'll wait for my final judgement when they're finished and in a game with figures.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, but there's still more to do on these and a lot more too.

      Delete
  7. They look spot on Joe, I must get round to doing some myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I'll be leaking the source of my basing in the next palm post.

      Delete
  8. They should work fine on the beach and in a jungle. Nice goin' Zab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, I agree, but what about Africa and the Caribbean?

      Delete
  9. Really nice jungle you've got there.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, now just the other 24 square foot of it to do!

      Delete
  10. Very nice they all look great Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, it'll be a relief when I get a lot more underway.

      Delete
  11. A nicely-varied amount of undergrowth on these tree bases. Will your pirates have to wade through mangrove swamp at any point, or will it be just palm-lined beaches :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6, I have thought of making a swamp at some time, but for now its jungle and palm-lined beaches.

      Delete
  12. Very inspirational and both very useful.I think you have made a great job here Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, it has taken a while to get there but I do think I'm making good progress.

      Delete