These were also my thoughts exactly, so I decided not just to glue it into place but to give it a little more interesting detailing. The objective was two-fold as it allows me both to show some of the
Though I may not use everything in the photograph (to the right) I tend to try and have more bits and pieces than I'll probably need.
So, there's polystyrene (foam variety), a couple of cylinders, an oil drum, some tissue paper, printed signs and stuff and some string. and some blackened coffee stirrers (yes I am sad enough to have some of these already done)
|The rubbish base - foam and tissue|
I broke the polystyrene foam into bits and tucked it into the holes created by the bracing on the stairs. (This was all done whilst the model lay on a flat surface ) . Next the foam was glued into place using pva, finally a layer of scraps of tissue were placed over the foam and then wetted with an old paintbrush, tucking it into corners etc. with the overall objective of just hiding the foam. The various crevices etc. would be filled with rubbish.
A very quick (and imprecise) coat of various dull paints (browns and green) gave the underlying base some colour and it didn't really matter if there were specks of white left.
|The view from underneath|
|Photo showing the truest colouring of the model|
|Another view but looking very dark|
|Close up view|
The final photograph showing the staircase in context.
I did have a thought that if I'd made the steps an additional 5mm deep (making them 15mm x 30mm) then a figure on a 20mm base would comfortable stand on it with the part of its base tucked underneath the step in front.
No doubt the more Poirot-like among you will have spotted the health and safety failing that the upper walkway hasn't got a safety railing - well that's already been spotted. I'm currently wondering how to fix one securely to a very thin piece of card (the floor).
Thanks for taking the time to view I hope this bit of rubbish was of interest.