Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Saturday 31 March 2012

Suits and Militia

First off, let me say that it has been quite remiss of me not keeping the appearance of my board up to date so to speak.  After the initial design template and the addition of  a couple of pages of my views on things I never really returned to "update" it.   Well I've made a start, I've added more links to my favourite links side-bar and there are still more to add. I've also updated my to view list of films - I didn't realise just how many I've yet to look at, but that's a problem we've probably all got, there not being enough hours in the day to do all we want.

This last week I've been very self-disciplined and put aside at least an hour each day to do some figure painting.  I didn't manage to finish all the figures that I started, as I've still got the final finishing touches to a dozen Warm Acre Civilians.  I have managed to finish ten Foundry figures though, five "Suits" and five Militia.  The latter  will probably be joining  my other five militia types (also Foundry) to be a "gang" of modern-day survivalists and will probably centre around a gun-shop, if I ever get round to making one !



Shown here are the two women from the Wargames Foundry set Sergeis Korporation.

The vehicle behind them is one of my recent purchase from Poundland, note the great split down the side of it (easily fixed), air conditioning at its worst !

The "Suits" will be used in whatever capacity I need, whether it's as  Detectives, Corporation Execs, Mobsters or whatever.
The photgraph on the right shows the remaining three figures from the above set, with the obligatory giant figure.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I'm still not happy with the bases, but it's on the list of  things that need doing.

The vehicle is another Poundland special.

The vehicles did look very large in the shop, but they're OK up against the figures.




These three are from the Wargames Foundry set Backstreet Militia and will be joining up with the set Mercenary Fire Team, giving them huge  amounts of firepower.

I've attempted to paint them in what I think is a British Summer Camo though I doubt it's the current one being used as I copied it from a friend's fatigues!


Last two of the Milita and as always my camera-work goes a little astray.  I've found what is called a Macro button and you know what they say, "A little knowledge...etc."

More reading of the blessed Camera Manual is in order (must find out what the little dial, with all the small lettering, on the top does).








Here is a shot of my four most recent purchases from Poundland en masse.

I'm not a great fan of all the "Stickers", (transfers ? decals ?) on them and will probably remove them in due course.  The stickers are not apparent in the photos above, but as we view our games from above most of the time I think they'll stick out like a sore thumb.






Final photo of all my recent finds and purchases from the last month.

The majority came from Poundland (of course), but not all of them.

 I think the most expensive was less the £2.50 and several of the least expensive were 10p (car-boot/tabletop sale).






Finally, comments are always welcome and if I haven't already welcomed you "Welcome !"

16 comments:

  1. Really nice miniatures mate!

    And I agree concerning the decals/transfers on the cars. Of with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LS, I'm slowly (oh so slowly) getting there !

      Delete
  2. Looking good Zabadak and the camo looks excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, I hadn't painted camo for about 20 years (WWII SS brick and summer)and was a little apprehensive as to how itwould turn out, but I'm pleased enough with my current effort.

      Delete
  3. It's all looking great. And agreed, that is some well done camo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, all encouragement welcome !

      Delete
  4. Paintwork looks good on the figures, especially the camo on your militia. Painting camo is never an easy task, but this looks good.

    I very rarely visited Poundland, but now, every time I go to Newcastle I have to call in... mainly see to if you've left anything for the rest of us to buy! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, Poundland only had some Michelin Man vehicles that I didn't decide to get, but you're welcome to it !

      Delete
  5. They're great.
    For bases, I'd advise the simplest - go get some fine sand (children's sand boxes, beach...), paint pva glue on the base, dip in, leave it to harden, take out, give it another layer of watered down pva (not needed but i do that so its less rough and to seal the sand in), paint black, drybrush grey and should look about what I will have and what majority here has. I was thinking about GSing coobles and all, but thats just unnecessary work. For extra step, you could always draw some lines on the bases, to represent roads.

    I love the construction dozers, that could come in handy. Poundland really is a little piece of heaven, heh.

    If you're interested, british army has a new cammo now, I've just saw them in London. I prefer the one you've picked, and being such a hard thing to paint, I think you did a great job. Maybe black boots but in the end, they're yours :)

    You guys are from Newcastle? Now I know where I'll spend my next vacation :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo,I've made my own flocks from various materials (including sand) for years but never for an urban environment. I'm actually thinking of adding some "bricks" to the urban baseing along with newspaper rubbish, tins etc.
      Only problem I've found with Poundland is that they rarely have the same things in when you go back a week later !

      The boots I believe are the canvas sided US variety, which I've never seen black, but would have been a lot easier to paint !

      You're more than welcome to visit/stay with us in God's Country too!

      Delete
  6. Ive been succeful in removing those decals with acetone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PapaSpanky for that tip, I haven't investigated their removal yet, but myfirst thoughts were water, (probably a non-starter), then nail-varnish remover (better bet), then a scalpel (last resort). Acetone is nail-varnish remover right?

      Delete
  7. Man, that's a lot of vehicles. Those will come in handy. I like your camo a lot. You'll lots of firepower with those militia, and the girls and suits look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Joe, I have at least half as many vehicles again, but I still don't think its enough - I want gridlock !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a big Parking lot! :D

    Good camo too!

    For the bases, maybe is worth considering removing them and glue to a platic round base. Otherwise Mathyoo said all that needed :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Zerloon, bases will be sorted in due ime no doubt.

    ReplyDelete